breeding season for gouldian

Includes Species Profile.
gomer

Mine breed late and finish late here compared to others. Boxes are in all year as they are in with other finches using the boxes. 99% will stop while moulting and in the hotter months.Most will only have three clutches at most with boxes in here.If they were breeding while moulting I would look at stopping them all. Some of mine prefer the start of the year others later.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think location and weather make a difference to when Gouldians breed. So take most notice of what those closest to you are having happen. I leave my nests in all year round because the Gouldians share avairys with other birds. They breed when and if it suits them. I put seeding grasses in according to availability and this also infuences the birds, but as I have retic there is never a greens shortage, just different ones predominating.
LML
LML
werty

finchbreeder wrote:I think location and weather make a difference to when Gouldians breed. So take most notice of what those closest to you are having happen. I leave my nests in all year round because the Gouldians share avairys with other birds. They breed when and if it suits them. I put seeding grasses in according to availability and this also infuences the birds, but as I have retic there is never a greens shortage, just different ones predominating.
LML
how many clutches do your Gouldian's go for before they stop?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some only do one some do up to four. But if they have had 3 reasonable size ones then I split that pair up by putting them in different avairys to stop them from wearing themselves out.
LML
LML
werty

finchbreeder wrote:Some only do one some do up to four. But if they have had 3 reasonable size ones then I split that pair up by putting them in different avairys to stop them from wearing themselves out.
LML
4 clutches in a row...that would be around 8 months straight breeding

Some only 1?...never heard of that
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 1 tends to be the last cock to get a mate. The guy at the bottom of the pecking order.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”