YELLOW BODY _RED FACED STARS

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Alistair

I have come on this forum specifically to find out about Red Faced Yellow Bodied Star Finches, as I understood it they have both cinnamon and fawn in the same bird.

I phoned the lad who first bred them in Australia in 2004 and he told me he thought they were a Dominant Mutation, I hope this is the case as I only have attained one cock bird but if they were Dominant I'd expect them to be every where like Cockroaches, I don't think they are.

Regarding a description, this bird is Yellow back and front with bright Red face but his primaries are green, does anyone have any information on this Mutation.

The good news is I just put him and a heavily Pied hen into a large aviary and within a week there is a nest in a tube.

I have no idea either how pied is inherited in Star finches and whether this is an appropriate mate.

It looks as though I don't know much about anything????

Yours aye Alistair
Alistair

I'm not sure how this site works yet but here goes, the birds in the posted picture are not Yellow Bodied Stars, now that I see someone on here is actually breeding them I hope they can tell me how to proceed with only one cock bird, how the color is inherited.

By the way when I bought this pair, the hen is pied, I paid $200, I had no idea what they were worth and neither did the dealer.

Yours aye, Alistair
arthur

Think you need 5 posts B4 you can put up a pic

Tiaris is the resident expert on YBS :thumbup:
Tiaris

The ideal mate for a yellow-bodied male (apart from a YB hen) is a fawn hen. They will produce YB hens & fawn split cinnamon cocks. YB is not dominant. The cinnamon component is sex-linked recessive & the fawn bit is autosomal recessive. A pied hen would be better utilised with other pied birds. As far a YB is concerned, pied would be an outcross with identical results to a normal.
Morne

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know any breeders of the Yellow body Red Face Star finch mutation they can put me on to?

Thanks,
Morne.
gomer

There are a few in both N.S.W and S.A look in these states.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Morne

gomer wrote:There are a few in both N.S.W and S.A look in these states.
Hi,
Thanks heaps for the reply! Any ideas as to how to find them? I wouldn't even know where to start:)
Bgould

Pm sent Morne
Morne

Bgould wrote:Pm sent Morne
Thank you kindly. Pm received. Much appreciated!

Return to “Mutation Finches”