Bush ID

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Isienfier

Hi all

Does anybody know what type of plant this is? I found it in one of our paddocks, and was curious whether it would be an idea to put in the aviaries? I thought it was best to find out what is was before though, in case it wasn't good for birds.
Thanks in advance

Nic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Looks like a type of native rice flower (locals call our version tick bush) some of the horticultural types may be able to elaborate... VR1ton maybe?
Red

To me, it actually looks like Rosemary.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with Red, but a little different to the one in my garden.
LML
LML
Tiaris

If it was growing in the paddock I presume its a local native. We have a shorter leaved rice flower here & in the nearby higher & colder country on the plateau there is a longer leaved one very much like the one pictured (Growing in similar climate to the one pictured too I reckon).
Isienfier

Thanks for the resposes, im with Tiaris, and believe it is a rice flower.It seems the likely option, any opinion on whether the birds would like it in an aviary?
Tiaris

I use my local rice flower as aviary plants in 2 of my breeding aviaries (which house fairy-wrens). It responds well to pruning by developing a dense bushy habit & being transplanted as juveniles from less than 50metres from the aviary they are obviously well-suited to my local conditions. Also have a nice burst of white flowers in Spring. Currently have a Redbrow nest in one containing large young & have previously had Diamonds nest in the same bush.
Hancock

Hi Nic, the plant pictured is a cassinia. Grows well here in stanthorpe. Does well with an annual hard pruning. Grows rapidly. I used it in my pheasant aviaries once as cut brush not bad but lepto is better. Cheers Luke
Cheers
Luke

Return to “Types of plants”