Plumhead trio?

Includes Species Profile.
coxy_dc

Hi there,

Has anyone had any success, or attempted, breeding using a trio of Plumheads (one cock, two hens?) in a flight or large cage? I'd be interested to hear if this has been tried with other Aussie finches as well.

Cheers, Neil
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't think it would work as most finches (unlike canaries) both share the incubation...so how does cock split himself to sit on both nests? unless both hens lay in same one? I would assume fighting would happen..... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

The only native species which I've ever had a successful trio with was Blue-faced Parrotfinch.
arthur

vettepilot_6 wrote:I wouldn't think it would work as most finches (unlike canaries) both share the incubation...so how does cock split himself to sit on both nests? unless both hens lay in same one? I would assume fighting would happen..... :thumbup:
While that is true, sometimes when one of a pair is lost the other will continue to succesfully incubate . . more common in the later stages of incubation

Fighting or rejection of one hen would be the most common results IMO

In Aus flight cage breeding of Plumheads and non-serin finches generally, is rarely (??) practised, but in the States & Europe it seems to be common because of climatic influence on the use of outdoor aviaries, and often in tandem with fostering using Bengalese

If Plumheads are common enough in USA, give the trio a try and let us know your results . . but like VP and T, I think that pair-breeding would give better results
garyh

I breed plumb heads in large aviaries and have had extra hens available to the cock birds, but they have always been true to one hen, it might work in cabinet breeding,but i have never tried,garyh
coxy_dc

Thanks Gents for all of the helpful and interesting comments.

One of my reasons for asking about a trio, is that I've read that it is difficult to ensure you have a compatible pair of Plumheads for breeding. They're reasonably hard to source here in the US, and I may have to get birds from different breeders/dealers.

Have you found any general difficulties in pairing these birds up? Perhaps they are so reasonably domesticated now that it is less of a problem nowadays?

Interested to hear from you.

Cheers, Neil
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never had problems with pairing them even when I first started in finches (over 40 yrs ago) I bred them pretty easily (although all in aviaries not cabinets)...so I must of just been lucky :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

At the moment Neil I have only one pair of Plumheads in my breeding aviaries & they are demonstrating exactly what you say regarding compatability. They are in an aviary absolutely chockers with seeding Guinea Grass (Panic) at the moment (& for the past couple of months) which I would normally say is perfect conditions for breeding Plumheads. But I have to say that this pair are definitely incompatible being known young adults, having been that aviary since April, the cock is very keen & won't leave the hen alone for more than 2 seconds & is constantly carrying grass & trying to display to her. But she just isn't interested in him & often has to peck him in the face to get him to leave her alone.
That all said, this is the first pair of Plumheads that I can recall being so uncooperative under such ideal circumstances. So every pair is different & you just need to try a pair & see how they go. Normally, I'd suggest if they don't first succeed change their enclosure or if using cabinets/cages, alter the internal fitout re: nest sites, vegetation, etc. & observe if there is any change.
Good luck.
coxy_dc

Thanks much again,

I've got a reasonable inside flight cage for the Plumheads that I'm going to 'dress-up' up with various bunches of long grasses/reeds to provide more security for the birds. Sorry again, but most of my research is from books here - I read that Plumheads typically build their own nests out of grasses etc. but then I have seen pictures of breeding pairs using half-open nest-boxes and even canary pans, within cabinet/box cages. This is a bit off topic from the original question, but I'd appreciate any additional feedback on your experiences - either in flights/cabinets or aviaries.

All the best, Neil
Tiaris

I guess if they have no other choice but to go into a box or basket, they may then do so. In my experience, however, they have always built their own nest in either grasses or dense brush even when they had boxes & baskets as options within their aviary.
Wire mesh cylinders filled with thick grasses/reeds &/or branches are another option which they will readily utilise for nest sites.

Return to “Plumhead”