Gouldian mutation experts - your opinions and photography skills needed!

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Blue Cuban

Rob wrote:If you buy a split bird how do you know it's carrying the blue genes if it looks normal? Is there some way to tell?
There is no way of looking at a bird and telling if it's split to blue or not.
Buying splits comes down to trusting the breeder, if only you lived near me I would give you some free and you could save the drug money people charge.
Hobby finch Keeper
SamDavis

Finchy wrote:
SamDavis wrote:Random comment....
There are blue Gouldians in the wild. Not common but in some populations I've seen they appear in reasonable numbers.
Not sure if it's the same morph present in aviculture, but they do appear to be fine health wise.
Wow, Sam, that's encouraging. With your own eyes?! Don't suppose you took, or could next time take, photos?

This could put Rob's question about starting again back into play. (Yeah, yeah, I know we're not supposed to catch 'em :shifty: .)

When you say you're not sure whether they are the blues we're used to, please do tell a little more. Or maybe open a new thread about them one day...

:)
I haven't seen them in the flesh, but have seen multiple photographs of multiple wild blues. They are clearly a blue mutation, with some differences to those in captivity. I'll need to ask if I can share the photos as they were provided in confidence.
Craig52

Just backing Sam's claim, there is a blue mutation in the wild and i have seen them at two separate finch counts. WA did have their own blue mutation separate to the imported Euro one we have now but they died out in captivity very quickly probably due to the Euro strain being introduced to their bloodline or poor management.
The WA blue was a blue that retained a light yellow belly and a slightly darker blue back. Craig
arthur

Craig52 wrote:but they died out in captivity very quickly Craig
It is quite feasible that some may exist, hidden away . .

Just as it is feasible that likewise some rare exotics may exist

And we must cling to that hope
Rob

Blue Cuban wrote:
Rob wrote:If you buy a split bird how do you know it's carrying the blue genes if it looks normal? Is there some way to tell?
There is no way of looking at a bird and telling if it's split to blue or not.
Buying splits comes down to trusting the breeder, if only you lived near me I would give you some free and you could save the drug money people charge.
If only... a kind thought nevertheless. I would like to replace my normals with splits as I like both blues and the more colourful normals.
I thought that if you cross a blue to a normal, not all would be a split (carry the blue gene)?? Couldn't the offspring just inherit both "normal" genes from both parents? How does it work?
Tiaris

Blue is an autosomal recessive mutation which means a Blue x Normal mating would result in all young having normal phenotype (appearance) and be split to (carry) the Blue mutation gene - no pure normals or blues.
Rob

Tiaris wrote:Blue is an autosomal recessive mutation which means a Blue x Normal mating would result in all young having normal phenotype (appearance) and be split to (carry) the Blue mutation gene - no pure normals or blues.
What will split x split give and split x normal give?
Blue Cuban

Rob wrote:
Tiaris wrote:Blue is an autosomal recessive mutation which means a Blue x Normal mating would result in all young having normal phenotype (appearance) and be split to (carry) the Blue mutation gene - no pure normals or blues.
Hi Rob I see you have a few basic questions about offspring results and I feel the below link will be of big help to you.
http://www.gouldianfinches.eu/en/geneti ... a/english/
Last edited by Blue Cuban on 16 May 2016, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Hobby finch Keeper
Tiaris

Rob wrote:
Both these matings are not ideal as they result in the production of both split and normal progeny which cannot be visually discerned between as they are physically identical. Such matings which result in unknown genotype offspring should be avoided at all costs in mutation breeding as they inevitably eventually result in pollution of what people think are pure normal stocks with split birds' mutation genes. Not knowing with certainty the genotype of all birds in your collection is also counterproductive to establishing & improving any mutation so for this reason too these matings are also undesirable. Only blue x split, blue x normal & blue x blue result in known genotype offspring. IMO blue x blue is far from yet being a viable option to produce quality birds until much more improvement work is done on the mutation using top quality normal birds as outcrosses. Personally, if using a split in a mutation breeding program, I would only use splits which have a decent quality normal parent. To me, using splits from blue x split pairings is of no strengthening/improvement value at all unless it is a particularly impressive specimen with obviously outstanding features to contribute and such birds are very uncommon.
Rob

Thanks.

Return to “Mutation Finches”