Golden Song Sparrows

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Painted4

Can you run 1 cockbird with 2 hens? or will this cause issues?
Cheers, P4
E Orix

I run them in a colony and I feel they would be better in even pairs as the cockbirds continually tends to the nest up keep.
Also in my experience you will do far better if there are at least two cockbirds in close proximity as they definitely stimulate
each other to breed.
Craig52

E Orix wrote:I run them in a colony and I feel they would be better in even pairs as the cockbirds continually tends to the nest up keep.
Also in my experience you will do far better if there are at least two cockbirds in close proximity as they definitely stimulate
each other to breed.
Agree with E Orix, works better as a colony of even pairs and will nest in close proximity to each other.They usually build a structure of sticks and build their nests in this structure as a colony.
Only problem i had was,when i had sixteen of them it sounded like i had an aviary full of house sparrows which eventually drove me insane. :lol: Craig
Painted4

E Orix wrote:I run them in a colony and I feel they would be better in even pairs as the cockbirds continually tends to the nest up keep.
each other to breed.
Thanks, I did intend (and still do) to run them as a colony, but dropped 2 cocks and a hen. Sounds like it might be better to put the spare hen in a holding aviary and just run a single pair until I can get even pairs then.
elferoz777

How big does the aviary have to be to colony breed?

God willing ill have a new 3x2x2 aviary by September and they are on my list.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”