RCC / Frozen Whiteants & Mealworms

Includes Species Profile
SamDavis

Is it possible for people to take some photos of the frozen termites for us to look at and/or explain the process. I'd like to review how others do it.
Tiaris

I just freeze the shaken/tumbled/sieved termites with fine debris into lidded plastic milkseed or ice-cream containers. 1 day's feed per container. They look exactly the same as live termites + debris only they don't move. They start to show obvious deterioration/desiccation after 8-10 weeks in the freezer so I recommend freezing for 2 months maximum.
Tiaris

I'm just about to head off into the bush to get a ute-load of termites now.
Trigger

I've found that the debris/spoil actually helps freeze the termite intact. Kind of insulates them from freezer burn. The finer/less of the debris, the more risk of freezer burn and mushy termites when defrosted. I use a bait sieve and find that amount of debris to preserve them well. They are intact and look as good as live when defrosted (minus the movement of course!) I agree with the 8-10week freezer life.
The birds feast on Lebanese cucumber while the rest of us have to settle for the continental variety...says it all really!
Trigger

2016-07-13 23.32.22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The birds feast on Lebanese cucumber while the rest of us have to settle for the continental variety...says it all really!

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”