Advice Needed

lyn2233

HI, I hope someone can help with some advice about canaries I mainly have finches. Nov 2013 I bought a female canary and decided to get a male I was sold 3 females before I got the male. My aviary is 10 mtrs long by 2 mtrs I have about 32 finches in there. The male mated with all the females and Jan 2014 they all had babies and again in April 2014.. I rehomed all the males with family and kepted the female finches. I also was given two red factor females so now have 10 females in the aviary. I let one of the females mate with my male which I have him by himself in a small aviary. They had two babies which I have also put in the aviary not sure what sex they are.
My question is we are going away and a friend bought me back one of the males I gave him last year as he was disturbing his finches. I would like to keep him but can't put him in with the other male. Would he be okay in the aviary or would he start mating with all the females.

Does anyone else keep both sexes of canaries in a aviary.
Thanks for any advice.
Craig52

The breeding season for canaries is coming to an end now even though you did breed some in April which was very late.Male canaries usually fight coming into the breeding season (September) but will co exist out of the breeding season over Autumn and Winter but don't feed high protein foods,just seed and greens and fresh water. Craig
DonnaJ

I find if you have at least 3 females to each male canary you will be fine with them in the aviary. They fight because of the competition for the females but if you have enough females to each male they will be fine, but they will mate with who they choose to. I aviary bred when I started out and this is how I had my aviary set up but it was smaller than yours and had no problems with this.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have been breeding canaries for over 25 years, and discovered that they like people have varying personalities. Mostly I avairy breed with even numbers of each sex. But just last month I had 2 pair in an avairy together. (One I have had 2 pairs in together many times before) Males were father and son, and son pecked dads head so badly that I lost dad. So it depends very much on the personality of the birds.
LML
LML

Return to “Canaries”