Female King Quail sitting on eggs.

Nova

My King Quail has been sitting on 4 eggs since at least the 14th October. I believe that 5 weeks is longer than usual. Should i remove the eggs?
Craig52

I would say that they would be infertile so yes to give them a fresh start. I think the incubation period is 21 days. Craig
matcho

The big thing here to me is "4" eggs. I haven't had king quail for over 40 years but my memories of them is that they lay a bucket load of eggs around the aviary and then rake them all together. 8 to 10 at the least and the brooding time is about 18 or a couple of more days. Nearly as more as a chook, for something so small it really is a wonder. When they hatch make sure you have a border around the base or your cage if you have normal finch wire. They run straight through it and look like little bumblebees. As I said, only 4 eggs worries me, diet maybe? who knows. Pinch all the eggs out of the aviary and she will start again, just like a chook. Make sure the cock bird is paying attention!

Anyhow good luck

Ken
Nova

I have removed the eggs and see what happens. She was very diligent in looking after the eggs on the small nest she made. I did find another 4 eggs scattered around the aviary so she may have laid 8 all up. I believe she and the cock are young so this could be the first for both of them.

Still i have a second female and he has shown no interest in her at all......
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Young hens first time would explain the low number. Maybe he is a slow developer. My young trio, also all first timers. Layed and sat on 7, hatched 3. All three adults are interested. I always allow them to dictate when they stop sitting, gives them the recovery time they need. But about a week after hatching remove all old eggs from the avairy floor, or you will just keep acumulating eggs that are not fresh.
LML
LML

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”