Overly aggressive Double Bars?

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
winic1

I bought three young Double Barred finches from a home breeder. All three turned out to be male, tho I was hoping for a female because I had a lone male already, his mate had died.

I had always heard that Double Bars were peaceful, like Bengalese/Societies (which do you prefer to call them? In the US, we use Society). But these three boys have turned out to be what we call completely psychotic. Originally, I called them Violet, Lilac, and Periwinkle, which were the colors of their leg bands. Now, we call them Violent, Lucifer, and Perpetrator. They are about a year and several months old, now.

They cannot live with each other. Had them in a large cage with 3 Spices who just don't care who else is around. Lucifer and Perpetrator ganged up on Violent so badly, I had to pull him and put him elsewhere. Then, after a bit, Perpetrator went after Lucifer until I had to pull him, too. Perpetrator now lives with the Spices, who leave him out (he started to try and push them around, but they don't take any guff from anyone and put him in his place quickly.) Lucifer is in with a female Zebra.

Violent went in with a male-female pair and their two babies. He seems to have replaced the male, the female seems to prefer him. I think the babies are one male, one female, they are about 9 months old now, and I know I really need to isolate them to see who sings. He is now chasing EVERYBODY violently, males and females alike, I think I may have to pull him. Their cage is 60" x 18 x 18 (152cmx45x45) with many natural branch perches and lots of fake greenery to break things up.

Is this normal Double Barred behavior? Or am I right that these three are not quite right in their heads? My zebras don't give me half this much trouble. I have seen others' cages of Double Bars and they have a happy, peaceful community.
And, if I let Violent breed with one of my females, is it likely their offspring will be psychotic, too? I suspect he is split to Fawn (had pinker beak when young, and has pink legs, not dark like his brothers), and my adult female is fawn.
It is so hard to get a hold of Double Barreds where I live. These three were my hope for being able to bring new genes for a second generation. But, they are not sweet, peaceful birds like I thought they were supposed to be.
Craig52

All i can say is, try to find females for them. Double bars cross regularly with zebra's so you shouldn't house the two together especially in small cabinets,hybrids are no good for anyone or your stock.
I agree though, double bars are usually very sociable birds that sit side by side and preen each other no matter what sex they are but being confined in cages with other species maybe the problem.
It is most likely that these birds were fostered under bengalese or zebs and are imprinted on those fosters,which gives them a different mind set. Craig.
winic1

No nests, no breeding, unless I say so. Don't put anything in the cage that looks like a place to nest, to prevent them from getting ideas. We cover cages at night, making sure to keep long nights and shorter days, to reduce hormones and urge to lay eggs. Mostly works. So Lucifer and Dapple the Zebra are just buddies.

I know one person within reach who might have owls to trade. Otherwise, the nearest sources would mean pretty much an all-day trip to get there and back. Life and teenagers mean that is pretty much out of the question.

All I wanted was a flight full of cute, sweet, beeping little Double Bars....what I got was a bunch of thugs. sigh.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They really do sound oddly behaved. My little flock were a bit pushy when I added the newest additions, but that was only while everyone decided who was with who. Now they are fine again.
LML
LML
Rob

Mine were the same. I had to remove 1. I think I have 3 cocks and 1 hen. Savage. They even drew blood.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rob if you are looking for different bloodlines PM me.
LML
LML
Stu

I kept Double Bars in the past and they were always social passive birds roosting together. Bickering when breeding but no more than any other finch species. I would have stated that they are one of the most social finches.

Return to “Double Bar”