Green/milk seed for Sydney 2016 - be quick if you want some!

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Finchy

Hi all

I just spoke with John Butler who usually organises a shipment of frozen green millet seed (milk seed) from QLD for Sydney bird keepers each year. He tells me that he's hardly heard from anyone this year so has not placed an order :o ... but says there may still be just enough time if you call him now! Please let him know if you are interested by calling him on 02 4938 3552 (or make contact via whomever you split an 18kg box with last year) in the next 48 hours!

Also please pass this on to non-forum bird keepers who you think will be interested in getting some seed.

(And/or is anyone other than John organising a shipment? Anyone know?)

Thanks,
Finchy
SamDavis

Howdy NSW Green/Milk Seed Lovers....

I spoke to John Butler earlier in the week. He has orders for one full pallet and is some way short on the second pallet. You need to act fast if you wish to ensure your order forms part of the second pallet. Full pallets are the only economical method of packing and shipping.

The absolutely last chance to order will be the day after the February FSA Smithfield meeting - that is Thursday 11th of February 2016. However the pallet may be full if you wait till then i.e. much safer to ring John right now.

Here's the advert from the current Finch Breeders Review (which will be posted Monday)...
jbutler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faza

If anyone in the Sutherland shire is interested in going halves in an esky please let me know, wife would kill me if I put a full eskies worth in the freezer.
Also being a shift worker pickup can sometimes be an issue, where in Sydney is pickup normally (Smithfield?).
Anyone interested let me know and I will contact John.

Cheers

John
fastjools

Hi Faza I have sent you a pm. Cheers J
Natboy

Does this still happen every year? I'm looking for green millet
Thank you
Nat
Finchy

I spoke to John Butler. He's keeping it very simple this year (2017). He's ordered just one palette, and all of that seed is already spoken for.

If someone here wants to take the batten from John by ordering and arranging delivery of a second palette (from the Lowes in QLD 07 5426 2101) and getting payment from those who want some, that will be fantastic. You'd be the hero :).

You'll have to be quick to place the order, I think. Minimum order 1 palette. The seed comes in 18kg boxes. Not sure how many boxes per palette.

Then rather than coordinating with everyone by phone as John did, I'd suggest mostly online communication (eg This forum) and getting people to pre-pay by PayPal. Or something like that.

:)
Natboy

Thanks for the reply Finchy.
I've been working 100 hour weeks recently & constantly on call. I don't think I could make it work & don't know enough people in the industry as yet sorry
Where do other people get your green millet from please?
Craig52

I don't know of anyone else who harvests and freezes it at the green milk stage. Try growing it in pots or a small patch in the garden and pick and feed it to your birds fresh or freeze any excess to feed out during the year. If have time to keep and feed birds you should have time for that small exercise. Craig
Natboy

Thanks Craig. I'm growing a few things for the birds so can grow this too but I'd like to be feeding it to them now and not in a couple of months time.
I've heard of a few people buying it & feeding it to their birds so I'll keep looking
Cheers mate :thumbup:

Return to “Diet & Food”