Finch nesting

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Rigs

Need help on what finches readily nest in boxes or cane nests. I have a large walkway with limited room for brush to be mounted because of it configuration but ample wall space to mount nest boxes. I have gouldians which i know will use boxes and looking for other finches to add into the walkway that would nest in boxes. Walkway area 2m wide x 2.2m high x 15m long so plenty of room. Just getting back into some finches after last keeping them 20 years ago when i first started,so not up with it all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Gouldians and other finches also use the plastic floats (approx 20cm diametre) Generally put a mix of nests and the finches will choose what they like.
Great size avairy.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Ruddies like to nest in small enclosed cane nests about 1m off the ground, Orangebreasts like them too (1.5-2m). Cutthroats prefer nest boxes but are best kept as a colony of their own.
emmo

I've had Plum-headed Finches, Black-throated Finches, Long-tailed Finches, Blue-faced Parrotfinches, Red-throated (Red-faced) Parrotfinches, Tricoloured Parrotfinches, Gouldian Finches, African Silverbills, Zebra Finches, Red-billed (African) Firefinches, Crimson Finches, Cut-throat Finches, Javan Munias, Scaly-breasted Munias (Spice Finches) all nest in nest boxes.
Last edited by emmo on 20 May 2017, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
arthur

casehulsebosch

Cannot agree with you Arthur LOL
arthur

Tried to post the pic of a Sunbird nesting in an upside down mini-watering can, to show that there are no 'definites' in this game

But alas . .

Perhaps I'm 'dotty'

And please feel free to disagree again

:thumbup:
casehulsebosch

If at first you don't succeed..............
Tiaris

emmo wrote: 20 May 2017, 08:00 I've had Plum-headed Finches, Black-throated Finches, Long-tailed Finches, Blue-faced Parrotfinches, Red-throated (Red-faced) Parrotfinches, Tricoloured Parrotfinches, Gouldian Finches, African Silverbills, Zebra Finches, Red-billed (African) Firefinches, Crimson Finches, Cut-throat Finches, Javan Munias, Scaly-breasted Munias (Spice Finches) all nest in nest boxes.
I've had most of those plus a decent amount of others also nest in boxes, but at least a couple of those (Plumheads, Spices & pure Javan Munias) would be genuine longshots for regular box nesters. Sure, anything is possible when you have a keen pair of birds and limited nesting options but look to commonly accepted receptacle-nesters if they are the only nesting choices available.
arthur

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”