Sexing a Society

Includes Species Profile
Vlerkie

I have one society I am attempting to sex before letting go into the aviary. Will placing it together with a male canary help at all to get a song out if it is a male? So far only cricket like sounds when playing back male songs. Any suggestions please?
2* Star 2* Java 3* Canary 1* Society
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it and the Javas are different sexs they will soon let you know. Mine cross bred when i was unaware of this risk, thinking they were not a close type.
LML
LML
Craig52

Turn the bird upside down and look under the bill where it meets the feathers. Males will be concave ) and females will be V shaped, some say you need other birds for comparison but with bengo's it is very obvious. Craig

Welcome to the Forum by the way :wave:
Ian Hamilton

Pretty sure you have a hen. What i'm about to say has only been a recent discovery ( so I believe).

The Cocks make a single syllable chip, whereas a hen will make the multi-syllable cricket sound you mentioned.

Hope it helps.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here is another way that has worked for me...... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-foDoUoj0yro/U ... g_Text.jpg
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 10:34 Turn the bird upside down and look under the bill where it meets the feathers. Males will be concave ) and females will be V shaped, some say you need other birds for comparison but with bengo's it is very obvious. Craig

Welcome to the Forum by the way :wave:
Blimmin heck, didn't know that Craig, learn something new everyday :thumbup:

I always used to single the birds in separate cages and then turn and face the cages so the birds face each other but don't always work,

I Better tell some of the UK Lads as many seem to be having a few problems about it :lol:

Thanks for sharing
STUART WHITING

Welcome to the forum vlerkle :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tried with help from the dear old mum to sex mine by the pelvic bones. Of the 2 cocks I have caught singing since then 1 had been listed as a cock and 1 as a hen. :oops: Think I will have to try your method Craig.
LML
LML

Return to “Society Finch”