Fonio Paddy

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stuart. ..I bought my last lot of fonio out of UK :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
BrettB

That's an interesting read Starman.
It answers some of my questions such as what birds it was tested on and how much were they given.
I wonder if the findings of the Ugandan vets was ever published ?
I admit to being a bit of a skeptic and give minimal weight to testimonials.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
starman

I share your skepticism Brett.
The sale of the seed seems to be healthy.....that's if the number of sellers on the net reflects its popularity..... never-the-less it may be well justified.
If it was easily procurable I would give it a go, but unless the birds are proven to have coccidiosis it would be a bit of a grey exercise and pointless really..... but at the very least it may cover them for subsequent infection and could provide them with added nutrition..... I really don't know.
I'm not all that comfortable with the prospect of buying seed from overseas though,.... might not be possible to get it through customs.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

starman wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 11:23 I share your skepticism Brett.
The sale of the seed seems to be healthy.....that's if the number of sellers on the net reflects its popularity..... never-the-less it may be well justified.
If it was easily procurable I would give it a go, but unless the birds are proven to have coccidiosis it would be a bit of a grey exercise and pointless really..... but at the very least it may cover them for subsequent infection and could provide them with added nutrition..... I really don't know.
I'm not all that comfortable with the prospect of buying seed from overseas though,.... might not be possible to get it through customs.
I bought the seeds through..customs must of inspected it as bag had small v shape cut in it....tried growing some but seeds are probably irradiated. ...I have sent numerous emails to aussie seed suppliers who advertise fonio...so far not one has replied. .hence why I was interested in perilla if it has been through same testsregarding coccidiosis. ..Dave :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
STUART WHITING

vettepilot_6 wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 08:39 Stuart. ..I bought my last lot of fonio out of UK :thumbup:
Arh right ok Dave that's interesting, didn't even know that we had it here, probably because I've never heard of anyone using the seed, if it were very popular here and had a good reputation for its use meself and others I suppose no doubt would of heard of it and been using it for years :roll:

It's definitely worth me investigating a bit more on this seemingly as you say it can be got here in the uk :think:

Thanks for sharing
starman

[/quote]
vettepilot_6 wrote:
I bought the seeds through..customs must of inspected it as bag had small v shape cut in it....tried growing some but seeds are probably irradiated. ...I have sent numerous emails to aussie seed suppliers who advertise fonio...so far not one has replied. .hence why I was interested in perilla if it has been through same testsregarding coccidiosis. ..Dave :thumbup:
[/quote]

VP,
In the 3rd post of this thread MuzzaD mentions a post somewhere on the AFF that implies similarity between the grains...I haven't found it yet just as I haven't been able to track down the foreign reference. The uses and benefits of Perilla are promoted all over the www..... if it does a small fraction of those claims I'll grind it down by hand and make my daily bread from it. It's supposed qualities include cures for colitis, allergy, immune response deficiency, gastro-enteric disorders, cardio-vascular problems it is also said to be anti-spasmodic, anti-pyretic, antiseptic, anti-diarrhoeic and anti-cancer. If the birds don't like it I'll be eating it myself.
Sm.
starman

STUART WHITING wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 15:52
vettepilot_6 wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 08:39 Stuart. ..I bought my last lot of fonio out of UK :thumbup:
Arh right ok Dave that's interesting, didn't even know that we had it here, probably because I've never heard of anyone using the seed, if it were very popular here and had a good reputation for its use meself and others I suppose no doubt would of heard of it and been using it for years :roll:

It's definitely worth me investigating a bit more on this seemingly as you say it can be got here in the uk :think:

Thanks for sharing
Stuart,
Depending on the source of the U.K. product, you may get a better seed in that it may not be irradiated/sterilized.
Sm.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup: :D :clap: Starman. .if thats the case think I'll be making my own bread etc out of it too :D
starman

vettepilot_6 wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 16:43 :thumbup: :D :clap: Starman. .if thats the case think I'll be making my own bread etc out of it too :D
mmm........ business opportunity ???
Sm.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

starman wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 16:53
vettepilot_6 wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 16:43 :thumbup: :D :clap: Starman. .if thats the case think I'll be making my own bread etc out of it too :D
mmm........ business opportunity ???
Cant be any worse than other fad diets..gluton free comes to mind pmsl

Return to “Diet & Food”