Fonio Paddy

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
starman

Ian Hamilton wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 17:39 And for something sort of off topic... will irradiated seed germinate ? Hemp seed purchased legally from a well known Sydney supplier germinates, but doesn't seem to grow on... done purely out of curiosity of course :shh:
Ian,
Not admitting to any experience with growing hemp (of course), but I've had niger seed swell, burst the seed case and look like it was germinating, but did not develop a rudimentary root and remained inert. My suspicion was that it was irradiated, but I fed it out....the birds showed little enthusiasm for it. I have a different batch soaking at the moment, hoping for better results.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
BrettB

gluton free comes to mind
No gluten in Fonio :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
STUART WHITING

starman wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 16:30
STUART WHITING wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 15:52
vettepilot_6 wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 08:39 Stuart. ..I bought my last lot of fonio out of UK :thumbup:
Arh right ok Dave that's interesting, didn't even know that we had it here, probably because I've never heard of anyone using the seed, if it were very popular here and had a good reputation for its use meself and others I suppose no doubt would of heard of it and been using it for years :roll:

It's definitely worth me investigating a bit more on this seemingly as you say it can be got here in the uk :think:

Thanks for sharing
Stuart,
Depending on the source of the U.K. product, you may get a better seed in that it may not be irradiated/sterilized.
Mmm......yea I know what yer saying Sm, still gonna have to spend some time and properly research this, if it does appear to be irradiated / sterilised I simply won't want it as it'd most certainly lost its value :think:
STUART WHITING

starman wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 16:30
STUART WHITING wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 15:52
vettepilot_6 wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 08:39 Stuart. ..I bought my last lot of fonio out of UK :thumbup:
Arh right ok Dave that's interesting, didn't even know that we had it here, probably because I've never heard of anyone using the seed, if it were very popular here and had a good reputation for its use meself and others I suppose no doubt would of heard of it and been using it for years :roll:

It's definitely worth me investigating a bit more on this seemingly as you say it can be got here in the uk :think:

Thanks for sharing
Stuart,
Depending on the source of the U.K. product, you may get a better seed in that it may not be irradiated/sterilized.

I've actually now managed to find a source here in England that sells the Fonio paddy seed, surprisingly enough it's virtually on me doorstep, well only about 7.5 kilometres away :D

Apparently he's temporarily out of stock at the moment but dose get it in quite regularly, as soon as he get some of this seed in stock I'll be experimenting and giving some to me birds and see which species are partial to it :thumbup:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice one Stuart :thumbup: ..good that the supplier is nice and close for you :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
STUART WHITING

vettepilot_6 wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 06:35 Nice one Stuart :thumbup: ..good that the supplier is nice and close for you :thumbup:
Cheers Dave, yea I couldn't believe me luck when I see it on his website, I initially was actually looking at some of the quality seed mixes and various different egg foods that he does as this is where I actually get me liquid calcium and D3 supplement from every now and again :thumbup:

All this time for the last couple of years I'd already been going there and never knew that he had the Fonio paddy seed :crazy: ....DOH...... :lol: .......lol
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^ :crazy: :thumbup: :lol:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
starman

Here I was thinking that Fonio Paddy was a relatively 'recent find'...

This is an extract from an AFF post by Netsurfer dated 30/12/2011 :

'.......if you have to import seed why not import Perilla (white and red), Chia and the what they call the miracle seed Foniopaddy a seed that apparently controls Coccidiosis. All are available throughout the Europe, USA, Canada etc.'
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

starman wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 17:46 Here I was thinking that Fonio Paddy was a relatively 'recent find'...

This is an extract from an AFF post by Netsurfer dated 30/12/2011 :

'.......if you have to import seed why not import Perilla (white and red), Chia and the what they call the miracle seed Foniopaddy a seed that apparently controls Coccidiosis. All are available throughout the Europe, USA, Canada etc.'
Knew it wasnt recent...but interesting there is lots of info on it's natural way to rid coccidiosis. ..
STUART WHITING

How did yer get on with using it Dave, did yer actually find it beneficial for yer birds and were there some species that perhaps took to eating the seed more than others ,

I'd be definitely interested to know any out come and experience you may have Dave with using this seed :thumbup:

Return to “Diet & Food”