European Goldfinch Diet

Includes Species Profile
batuhan

Hi All,
Carduelis carduelis/European goldfinches are not fed so much with animal foods throught the year.
Goldfinch nestlings need only very little animal foods/Proteins a few days after hatching.
Goldfinches actually need Vegetable Proteins.
During breeding season ınstead of milky seeds , you can provide sprouted/germinated seeds.
Egg-food very very little.
Little green Vegetable leaves.
Mixed seeds.
Goldfinches, greenfinches, linnets are not insectivorous/insect eating birds these birds are granivorous/seed eating birds.
batuhan.
batuhan

Animal Foods for European goldfinches maximum rate on April and May only.
In April animal foods maximum %10
In May animal foods maximum %5
In January, February,March,July, August,September, October, December animal foods less than %1 .
Do NOT European goldfinch nestlings need animal Proteins ?
The KEY is Not animal Proteins.
The KEY is Vegetable Proteins.
The KEY is MILKY SEEDS.
In captivity instead of Milky seeds we can provide sprouted/germinated seeds.
For European goldfinches to bring them breeding condition : in May provide as much as dandelion heads.
In May number 1 food is dandelion (taraxacum officinale)
batuhan
batuhan

In January : Arcticum spp/Burdock
Dipsacus fullonum/Teasel
Centauria spp/Cornflower

In February : Dipsacus fullonum/Teasel
Arcticum spp/Burdock
Alnus glutinosa/Alder

In March : Dipsacus fullonum/Teasel
Arcticum spp/Burdock
Pinus sylvestris/Scots Pine
Centauria spp/Mountain Bluet
batuhan
Craig52

Thank you very much for that information batuhan, it's a shame not many breeders in Aus breed goldfinches as most are wild caught. Some breeders including myself have bred them or hybridized them with canaries to produce mules for their song.
You are right though, they don't need much live food but they will eat it if supplied. Other than that, a product called greens and grains and plenty of oil type seeds/ greens in the way of milk thistle flowers and leaves plus an egg food gets them through. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have had these birds in the past with some small success. Information is good, but need to switch it 6 months for the Southern Hemisphere.
LML
LML
batuhan

Craig52 wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 09:04 Thank you very much for that information batuhan, it's a shame not many breeders in Aus breed goldfinches as most are wild caught. Some breeders including myself have bred them or hybridized them with canaries to produce mules for their song.
You are right though, they don't need much live food but they will eat it if supplied. Other than that, a product called greens and grains and plenty of oil type seeds/ greens in the way of milk thistle flowers and leaves plus an egg food gets them through. Craig
"live food but they will eat it if supplied."
Then please dont supply them live food
Espicially in hot days/month.
You can feed European goldfinches with animal foods very very little during breeding season only. And nestlings being fed with animal foods (not more than %10 in total foods) untill 10 days age much enough.
Please Do NOT forget European goldfinches are granivorous/seed-eating birds not insectivorous/insect eating birds.
European goldfinches feed with MILKY SEEDS (in Spring and early Summer monthes) in the wild.
In captivity instead of Milky seeds we can provide sprouted/germinated seeds to European goldfinches.
%90 Seeds . %7other plants %3 animal foods throughout year.
batuhan
STUART WHITING

batuhan wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 17:38
Craig52 wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 09:04 Thank you very much for that information batuhan, it's a shame not many breeders in Aus breed goldfinches as most are wild caught. Some breeders including myself have bred them or hybridized them with canaries to produce mules for their song.
You can feed European goldfinches with animal foods very very little during breeding season only. And nestlings being fed with animal foods (not more than %10 in total foods) untill 10 days age much enough.
Please Do NOT forget European goldfinches are granivorous/seed-eating birds not insectivorous/insect eating birds.
European goldfinches feed with MILKY SEEDS (in Spring and early Summer monthes) in the wild.
In captivity instead of Milky seeds we can provide sprouted/germinated seeds to European goldfinches.
batuhan
Fella !!!!.......please, please don't keep going on about this insectivorous / granivorous subject all of the time, you seem to talk about nothing else but this subject,
We've all had this out with yer a few weeks / months back on the well known BBIA ( British birds in aviculture ) forum if yer remember rightly and you literally pissed off a lot of well known and experienced British finch fanciers on the forum and these are experienced bird men who have had Glodies most of there lives :problem:

Most people on the Aussie finch forum are Australian and are highly experienced fanciers and to be fair are quite possibly some of the worlds most experienced finch breeders, I think most will know how to breed Goldies :lolno:

Please take note as yer gonna end up pissing off more people because yer seem to think that your way is the only way :roll:

Remember some of these posts :yawn:

image.png
image.png
image.png
Craig52

Thanks for the heads up Stewart, yes i had the feeling that no matter what we said it was wrong in his opinion. Most breeders here pop a pr of goldfinches in with a mixed collection of waxbills so you cannot stop the goldies eating the livefood supplied for them of which they need. :irked: Craig
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 17:16 Thanks for the heads up Stewart, yes i had the feeling that no matter what we said it was wrong in his opinion. Most breeders here pop a pr of goldfinches in with a mixed collection of waxbills so you cannot stop the goldies eating the livefood supplied for them of which they need. :irked: Craig
No worries Craig :thumbup:

Be lucky mate
batuhan

STUART WHITING wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 09:45
batuhan wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 17:38
batuhan
Fella !!!!.......please, please don't keep going on about this insectivorous / granivorous subject all of the time, you seem to talk about nothing else but this subject,
We've all had this out with yer a few weeks / months back on the well known BBIA ( British birds in aviculture ) forum if yer remember rightly and you literally pissed off a lot of well known and experienced British finch fanciers on the forum and these are experienced bird men who have had Glodies most of there lives :problem:

Most people on the Aussie finch forum are Australian and are highly experienced fanciers and to be fair are quite possibly some of the worlds most experienced finch breeders, I think most will know how to breed Goldies :lolno:

Please take note as yer gonna end up pissing off more people because yer seem to think that your way is the only way :roll:

Remember some of these posts :yawn:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png
Fella!!!!!!!
Are you lawer of all of European goldfinch breeders?
I am sure they can answer me much much better than you.
I just want to share my breeding experince and some Scientific Researhes about this subject with goldfinch breeders .in Scientific Researhes Show that goldfinch parents feed their nestlings with MILKY SEEDS mostly.But very very little amount feed with animal foods.
İn Captivity many breeders loose nestlings after hatching in a few days or after flight.Overmuch animal foods causes to die nestlings.
Only first 7- 10 days nestlings might be fed with animal foods in small quantities. In hot summer days much much less .
If you want when I come to your Country I can tell you about this subject in details.
But the problem is You say to me RUDELY : "don't keep going on about this insectivorous / granivorous subject all of the time, you seem to talk about nothing else but this subject"
Dont talk like this OK?
Be good ,be quite,be polite Dont be RUDE...
Then I have to say : Keep your nose out of my business .....
Nib out

Return to “Goldfinch”