Virkon S and Soaked Seed

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
garymc

I have been preparing soaked seed now for over a year using Virkon S as per Mike Fidlers recommended method. Aproximately a batch 6 to 9 ice cream tubs is prepared each time and then frozen for later use.

During conversation yesterday it dawned upon me that If Vikon S does kill a huge number of harmful viruses and bacteria does it have any affect on the useful gut flora in the birds?

Interested in any thoughts/facts that mey be out there
GregH

What you say is a very valid concern but given that you have done this for a year without incicent and that Mike Fs aviaries are thriving then I wouldn't be too concerned. The low pH of the foregut is probably more hazardous to any pathogens than the Virkon but obviously some bacteria make it through to the hind gut and you don't want to kil these but a year long trial would indicate that it's safe. I may be that the small amount of Virkon consumed is inactivated in the gut.
grumpz

hay Gary,I could send ya over some good South Aussie muscat it fixes any problem you can think of,thats if you have taken your cement to harden up yet. :lol:
cranberry

What are your thoughts on mixing a dilution of 10:1 raspberry syrup (25% pure fruit juice) with soaked seed?
gomer

They say it does not harm any gut flora.I have been using it for a couple of years with no concern.I also use it in the drinking water to stop alge.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Keven S

Garry I was told that if you over indulged on muscat that it may cause you to purge any harmful viruses and bacteria that may be in the gut or anything else to that matter :roll: not sure if you could use it on your birds though :lol:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For me personally the Muscat sounds like the go, but not for my little feathered friends.
LML
LML
E Orix

I have used Virkon S for along while.I used bleach prior.Both worked for me but Virkon S while more
expensive is easier and works far better. I have also been questioned about it killing good bugs as well.
One of my pet hates is hearing people who are over medicating,as my theory has always been as a layman.
How do you kill bad bugs and not good ones as well.That question still has not been answered to my satisfaction yet.
Anyway I broached the subject with Mike Fidler and I can't remember the ins and outs of the discussion as he leaves me way behind but
in his words"Virkon S it very very safe to use and do not stop using it.The lab tests show that when you use V/S then yeast and other
nasties do not appear even after nearly a week.
Unfortunately Mike is away so I can't get him involved.
I still intend and do use it and I use a bucket of soaked seed a day during breeding season and I have not seen anything untoward.
As for Rasberry Cordial I am reasonably sure it is used in the Pig industry, put it in the water by all means but be careful putting it with wet seed.

Return to “Finch Health”