Yellow Diamond in mixed aviary

Includes Species Profile
hanabi

I have a few yellow fawns that I am trying to get established, because both mutations are very hard to obtain here. They appear to be well established in Europe. It's good to see the yellow mutation remains in Australia, but it sounds like it might take a concerted effort to keep it viable.
DSC00700-x800.jpg
DSC00731-x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hanabi

Not sure why the site continues to drop attached images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arthur

If they 'turn up' now and then, and your friend hasn't tried to establish pairs that will produce the mutation regularly; it tells me that he is either not interested, or doesn't know how to

If he doesn't know how to but wants to, then he should make use of the information available on our forum

If he is not interested, then he should pass yellow birds on to those who are

This mutation is common enough, not to be rare, but there is no guarantee that the situation will not change, as it has in the past with this mutation, and many other mutations / species

"Responsible Aviculture" should be the slogan of all birdkeepers; and even if you are anti-mutation, you should be tolerant enough to recognise this facet of our hobby . .

Many decry breeders 'Who are only in it for the money' . . but believe me they are responsible for saving a lot of species, and establishing a lot of mutations . . many more than their detractors

PS . . Diet-induced temporary plumage colour change IS such a common occurrence, that it should NOT be summarily dismissed

'Here endeth the reading' :silent:
Craig52

Thanks Arthur, yes i totally agree with what you said and yes i would love to have ago of establishing this mutation. As mentioned before i was the one that got caught out with the yellow diamonds that were yellow due to diet.
If these birds are turning up out of normal red rump birds then there are splits for yellow in the colony and it has nothing to do with food. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

H your bird also has a yellow bill and dilute wings, so suspect they are different mutations. Though both very nice, and both no doubt recessive. Good luck with your breeding.
LML
LML
hanabi

finchbreeder wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 09:54 H your bird also has a yellow bill and dilute wings, so suspect they are different mutations. Though both very nice, and both no doubt recessive. Good luck with your breeding.
LML
Hello finchbreeder,

Yes the Diamond in my image has both the fawn mutation and the yellow mutation, both autosomal recessive. To be truthful I need to confirm that the fawn is actually a fawn (autosomal recessive) and not a cinnamon(sex-linked recessive), but I hear the cinnamon mutation is very rare so I think I have it right.

The yellow mutation does change the beak colour too; you can see the bird in Alan's photo also has a yellow beak.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but since we're talking about Diamond mutations, I find the fawn mutation a little more attractive than the silver (also autosomal recessive):
DSC04294-x600.jpg
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with you H the Fawn is nicer than the silver. :thumbup: And the yellow is also. :clap:
LML
LML

Return to “Diamond Firetail”