Hello from north qld

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
gumlu goulds

Hey and thanks.for welcome
Cage is approx 2m long 1mt high 500deep

GG
Nat&Glenn

Hi gumlu goulds :wave:
Welcome to the forum
Nat and Glenn
gumlu goulds

Thanks.nat and glen

Your up mighty early
starman

WELCOME to the AFF and the wonderful world of Gouldian breeding, gumlu goulds.....best of luck with it.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a reasonable size cage for a pair of Gouldians, don;t know why you were told it was too small for a breeding cage. Don't personally like wire bottom cages, would recommend putting a tray of sand in, something like the litter trays cats use could work well. Glad baby is OK.
LML
LML
gumlu goulds

Why not cage floor? Only thing i am not liking is that little ones feet could get stuck. I put the cage floor in because i wanted low matainence for my young daughter. But now we seem to be getting alot more serious with the new baby and talk of another pair would like to hear thoughts.
My.finches dont explore the floor much as i have 3 100mm wide timber half way up cage with pearches in between. I use these to place snacks and water dish. And pearches above but offset so dropping fall away from the timber ledge.

I am going to build another avary in near future same size as like to see birds with lots of room. Will post photos of the one i.have now tomorrow night. Feel free to let.me.know how to make the new.one better

GG
P.s sorry for bad english and poor.spelling im on android phone makes for difficult typeing as i have fat.fingers
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you mean the cage has a slide in/out floor? Or why not a wire floor? If first no reason at all. If 2nd unnatural and uncomfortable. The size you have is fine for a pair of Gouldians so if getting more gouldians same again will work. Have you considered a walk in avairy? 2mtre cube and you have room for 3 pair of Gouldians and the existing cage becames a school for the young. Upwards flight is more strengthening than longways flight, but both are fine. It's all a matter of taste.
LML
LML
gumlu goulds

Cage has fixed wire at bottom then slide out trays under that to remove waste. I like the idea of 2m square cage. And the 1 have now would be great for young. I only have one area left in my house yard but it is in a shade house. Do u think this would provide enough light for them. It is also nice and cool in there witch i am thinking is great cause its 35c here today. Will be looking into new aviary very soon as i have 4 new additions to the fam. 2 white chests male and female and 2 purple chest male female. Also my little fellow.has not fledged yet must be sooo close he is sitting on edge of nest chirping away.

I will get some meterials for cage after another week and get some ideas

GG
gumlu goulds

The new family
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

East facing avairys tend to be best, and you will need a safety door so they do not sneak past you. Type "avairy build" into the search engine up the top right corner, and enjoy looking and learning. Remember to consider the differences between the posters location and your own. You for instance will deal with a lot more moisture than I do even though our temperatures are similar. Daughter noticed this when she move from the West Coast to Brisbane. Gouldians are desert birds without a layer of fluff, so cold breezes bother them more than heat does.
LML
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”