Returning to Hobby.

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
SteveKbc

Hi all, having kept and bred finches ( and canaries to show ) in the past I will be returning to the hobby in the comming months.
Just after some opinions please :

1. Looking at building a 5m long aviary with 2m enclosed ( maybe L shaped making enclosed 2 x 2 for even more privacy ) and 3m open.Should the open flight be covered at the top as well ?

2. Prefer an earth floor with somes grassy plants so is sand the best base ?

3. Thinking 6 Diamond sparrows and 6 Gouldians and hoping to put a pair for red faced parrot finches in as well. Could I squeeze a trio of weavers in there ?

I think I am going to be asking a lot of questions in the coming months so I hope you do not mind.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like an excellent size avairy. Have had a mix of roofing options over the years and find the best to be wire, with a breeze gap and a solid roof above that. Allows rain in a little round the edges, so the birds can enjoy a bath and I dont get too wet when tending them. Allows shade and breeze in summer for cooling. Protects from predators that attack from above. Keeps wild bird poo with worms from entering the avairy. Welcome back to the hobby.
LML
LML
collector_and_buyer

Too many birds for that size aviary imo.What you have to think about is how crowded it will end up when your birds all have young ones.A lot of people don't think about this and end up with an overcrowded aviary.
SteveKbc

Well we finally bought the house we were chasing ..... a bank of 11 aviaries.

One section has a finch aviary about 4 x 4 x 2 high.
I am thinking 3 pairs of diamond firetails 3 pair Gouldians and 1 pair parrot finch. If I move most of the young to another cage will this set up work ?

Also the floor is concrete and was thinking of putting dirt or sand on the floor as well ?

Advice please.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How many of the avairys are suitable for finches now? Congratulations on your buy.
LML
LML
starman

Firstly, WELCOME to the AFF, SteveKbc.
IMO your choice of finches should be fine (compatibility-wise), and you shouldn't have problems with the numbers if you provide a little shrubbery. The test of this is, of course, the breeding season when some pairs get territorial. As already advised, you may have to do some thinning after any breeding successes. Most people prefer river sand floors for both hygiene and aesthetics....the birds seem to enjoy fossicking for bits in the sand.
I have a 200 mm deep sand floor (over pavers) in my aviaries and find that is easily cleaned (fine raked) and replenished. It also drains and dries quickly after heavy rain. Fine gravel also provides these benefits but I feel that sand is better for the birds.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Rod_L

Hi Steve and welcome :)

Concrete floors are made for hygiene and to keep rodents and other pests from getting in via the floor. Basically it's so you can hose off bird poop and associated diseases & parasites. Drawback to concrete is it gets cold in winter so quail don't do well, and it doesn't look natural. But it is designed for hygiene.
You can leave it as concrete or put a thin layer (1/2 to 1 inch) of clean sand over it. Every month remove the dirty sand found under perches and put it on the rose garden. Then replace with clean sand. Alternatively, leave concrete and have trays of sand for the birds to have sand baths in.

------------------------
You mention one section is for finches. If you plan on keeping parrots in the aviaries next to the finch aviary, put a second layer of finch wire on the outside of the finch section. Have the second layer of wire about an inch away from the finch aviary. This will prevent parrots in adjoining aviaries from getting to the finches. Alternatively just rewire them all and have 11 finch aviaries, then go nuts :)

------------------------
A 4x4x2 meter aviary is fine for 7 pairs of finches. As mentioned by the others, just move the young birds out when the aviary gets a bit crowded.

Having plants in the aviary will make it look more natural, provide shelter, resting and nesting sites, and break up territories. They do however, make it more difficult to catch birds. If you have plants in 30-40cm pots, then you can move the potted plants out of the aviary, catch the birds, then move the pots back in.

Make sure all the nests are the same height and have a bit of space between them, and you should be fine.

------------------------
Having an open flight section is fine in dry weather, but it should be covered during the cooler seasons. Some people use clear plastic in winter, others use clear or tinted laserlite/ polycarbonate sheeting, and others use fibreglass sheeting. Tin sheets use to be the norm and still is for the main aviary structure. Unfortunately tin gets very cold in winter and hot in summer, and makes a lot more noise when its raining. This can disturb the birds at night if its raining or hailing. However, tin is stronger.

Personally I like tin on the outside of the main shelter with a 1 inch polystyrene foam sheet glued to that, and then fibreglass panels stuck on the inside. It insulates from hot, cold and noise. The fibreglass sheeting is also easy to clean but is not recommended for parrot aviaries because they chew it.
For flights: in summer I had 75% shade cloth suspended about 6 inches above the aviary and sealed up all around the sides to stop cats and vermin getting under the shade cloth. In winter I remove the shade cloth and replace with lightly tinted polycarbonate sheets that are in panels that can be bolted onto the roof frame.
I like clear panels on the roof but there are too many cats around here that sit on the aviary, and the tinted panels make it harder for the cats to see the birds.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

just rewire them all and have 11 finch aviaries, then go nuts :)
That would be my preference too. But you do what suits you. 3 of my 4 avairys have natural sand floors, one has concrete. The ratio says it all about my preferences.
LML
LML

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”