Hourglass tail

Includes Species Profile.
Flight Feathers

finchbreeder wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 12:00 Never heard of an hourglass tail, hopefully someone more knowledgable can help. What do you mean by bb? Is the father gray or fawn pied? There is a lot that people need to know to answer with any hope of acuracy. Enjoy the mutations.
LML
I don't know what the father is... He is a pied of some mutation that possibly has Isabel and orange breast in it and some fawn too but I won't know unless I breed him to a non pied.
Flight Feathers

Tass wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 19:33 black breast and black fronted are both recessive as finchbreeder said. Not sure what NZ has.

To get a full BB you would need 2 splits at minimum as the mutation must be in both parents. Example if you have 2 Grey/Bb (grey split to BB) , then you will produce Greys , Greys/BB , and BB . The only issue you will have is that in most cases you cant tell the difference between Greys and Greys split to BB .

going by the internet Black BREASTED splits do show signs , I don't know if the Australian Black FRONTED does. Which does NZ have ?

Always better to breed from one split and one full bird as you will always know that it is split with a recessive gene
I've never heard of black fronted unless it's the same as black bodied? I think we have black breasted and we also have their mutations like penguin, cream, silver, black cheek, and black face and marks whites also.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://zebracrazy.byethost13.com/AllMut.htm?i=1
Have a look at this site it will help clarify some of the mutations people are mentioning.
LML
LML
Flight Feathers

Thank you, I've been on that site before and looked through all the mutations. I'd obviously forgotten about black fronted! Thanks!
Tass

black fronted and black bodied are australian mutations

Currently we don't have in Aust , of the list of mutations you mentioned , the penguin and the black cheek, lucky guys

we also don't have black breasted , so in your case work on YOUR mutation being black breasted. (as all 3 are different in some way).

finchbreeder has a link to photos of hourglass feathers,
Flight Feathers

Okay thanks!

Return to “Zebra”