"different" king quails

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think that those of us who breed quail for any length of time will observe there are a range of shades in cinnamon and silver. I think this is more common in cinnamons that are split for silver, and silvers that are split for cinnamon. My deduction is that like in humans there is a range of blondes, brunettes etc. to it is in quail. However that said. I think that by choosing to put light bird to light bird and dark bird to dark bird we can eventually breed two distinct shades within the cinnamon and silver.
Anything that is different in colour or amount of colour can be perpertrated (in theory) with effort. So that boy of yours could be developed into a line of heavily redish breasted if you wanted to Spanna. Look forward to hearing how your cinnamon/silver pied goes in the future.
LML
LML
flap

How is your cinnamon breeding venture going Spanna? I do think they are very pretty and am becoming interested in trying to breed them. So was thinking of getting a hen off you when you get some. But also thoght that if my male is cinnamon as suggested by jayburd, maybe we could join forces and breed your hen to my male? Not sure about the logistics though.... there is a (not so good) photo in my for sale link. Also there is another photo somewhere from ages ago (which is the one that jayburd saw).
Hope peggie and the young goulds are going well. our hen almost fully coloured, the boy much slower...
flaP
elferoz777

I have a couple of young that look cinnamon pied.....

Has anyone been trying to breed any new mutations with the king quail?

Would like to try and kick off something different...I have very light cinnamon birds atm with silver on them
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a very red cinnamon hen that I got from Spanna to an average mid range cinnamon cock of my breeding, who I know is split silver. They are producing all cinnamon, in both the red and the light cinnamon/silver. Suspect the reds are pure cinnamon and the lights are the splits (cinnamon/silver) Just my opinion. Have kept a red daughter to continue this experiment.
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well 30 months on and the combining of birds that Mum and I already had, the pair I got from Spanna and the girls we got from Flapp. And we have some birds here that are definately different shades. Dilute gene has surfaced by cousin to cousin breeding. And a deep red cinnamon. And a couple of shades between as well. This is interesting. :thumbup:
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The red gene comes up more often than the dilute, but both are still there. There should be a number of them popping up in avairys round this area in view of the quantity we have produced and sold over the past 18 months.
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4 Yrs on, and still breeding from the dilute line. The reds sort of fizzled out. Obviously had to add a really big blue silver hen into the line, as the inbreeding was shrinking the size of the birds a little. But it was also, mostly making them more docile in nature.
One of the avairies currently has a pair from the dilute line, their 2 grown sons and their 2 not yet sexable chicks. The boys help with the chicks.
Original line silvers are white silver. So since adding the big girl get some of each shade. I prefer the whiter ones. Also noticed that the slits to cinnamons have a much more muchroom cinnamon breast.
LML

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”