Noisy Miner Problem! Plz Help!!!

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
CathyCraftz

Ever since I moved my zebra Finches’ cage outside for the summer, there have been wild noisy miners disturbing them about three times a day, and every time I have to chase them away. How do I get rid of them?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Rod_L

go to youtube and look up "how to trap minors" and "making a ladder trap" Catch and then dispose of the minors. Mods, they are not native so you don't have to worry about censoring me or telling me off :)
death to all cats & ants
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noisy miners are native. You're probably thinking of Indian mynas, which are the introduced pest.

So yeah, the mods are probably going to tell you off for advocating the "disposal" of a protected species. C'est la vie.
starman

Cathy,
The main concern that I have for you is that your birds are in a cage. If it is a traditional cage with vertical bars, there is far too much scope for any predatory bird to latch onto one of your Zebs or to "put it to the sword".
I have some birds in small suspended enclosures with double meshed fronts. While this doesn't stop attacks, it prevents the predators' beaks from reaching the birds..... the birds get more used to the attacks, but it still takes a while for them to settle when the threat has passed. Before I double-meshed the suspends, I used a curtain of nylon bird netting (the type used for fruit tree protection) hung about a half-metre to a metre from the front wire. This is available in black or white ....(black makes for better visibility).
Noisy Miners will still land on the floppy netting but are not comfortable for fear of entanglement, and tend not to hang around too long. The extra distance from the aggressors also tends to reduce the shock factor for the inmates.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finches are usually happyer in an avairy, as it allows them to fly arround and live outside, and can be made more easily pest proof. Is this an option?
If not then is there somewhere they can be outside inside. e.g. an outside room where the window can be open and the door closed but they get the benefit of sunlight and breeze but still have shade and not chilly winds?? If you remove one lot of miners there is a fair chance the ones from over the next teritory will just expand into your yard. (supply and demand an empty teritory will always be taken)
LML
LML
matcho

Cathy,
Noisy minors are not really "predatory" but will grab smaller birds through the bars if able to. It is purely a territorial thing and they are most active during the warmer months during breeding. I know, because I have the same problem here in the inner west of Sydney. They roam in troupes and will scare the bejesus out of finches by landing on your cage, not good. Luckily my birds have become accustomed in the aviary and no perches are anywhere near the wire. They just sit back and give them the finger! The do have one benefit, they will alert you to any stray cats nearby and this serves as a warning to other birds. Other than moving your cage back inside behind a flyscreen I can offer no other solutions. Just cross your fingers you don't have some visits from this years young butcherbirds trying to establish a new territory. That is a completely different story and will not end well in your case.

Good luck

Ken.
Rod_L

ShaneGowland wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 16:22 Noisy miners are native. You're probably thinking of Indian mynas, which are the introduced pest.

So yeah, the mods are probably going to tell you off for advocating the "disposal" of a protected species. C'est la vie.
oh buggar, not again :)
death to all cats & ants
Craig52

:shock: :lol: :lol: Rod
CathyCraftz

Finchbreeder I can't put them in an aviary because I live in a unit and I also covered the top of the cage with a blanket because it seems like that more panic will occur if the noisy miners are looking down at my finches. A while ago I discovered a noisy miner nest near the building so maybe the noisy miners come from there? Magpies are now also attracted to the finches.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cathy - good thinking with covering them. :thumbup: Could you make a cover from fabric that covers half of the avairy, so that only one side is open?
This would allow the finches to hide on the covered side if they feel threatened. Good luck in finding a solution.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”