Puffed up male zebra.

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
cate

Hello i noticed yesterday that one of my male zebras is sometimes puffed up and he has been napping a bit more than usual. He is vocal, eating, moving and grooming himself just fine. i have separated him from my other finches (all males) and put a nest in his cage so he can snuggle up in it. None of my other finches (5 of them) are puffing up or acting any differently. i read that it could be because he is cold (it has dropped in temperature alot this week one day is 33 degrees and next 21) he moves and acts completely fine but i am still worried any ideas of what it might be? I have also been told you cannot put a nest in with all male zebras as they might get aggressive towards each other is this true? thank you.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like you have done the right thing, by seperating him and seeing that he is warm. Only ever had my Zebs in families and flocks, so can't comment on nests in all boy groups. How long have you had the birds? Did you get them all from the same breeder? From a pet shop? From different breeders?
Welcome to the forum from another of the West Aussies.
LML
LML
cate

@finchbreeder thank you for your reply :),
I have had this particular zebra boy for 4 to 5 years but i added some 2 new additions a few months ago and all my birds are from the same shop not sure if the breeder of the birds is the same but i haven't had any issues with them.
Craig52

I'm afraid your bird is getting fairly old for a zeb and he is just acting normal. The other thing that it could be is the addition of the new birds which upsets the pecking order,especially if they are younger birds.
I don't believe that if you put nest boxes in they will fight, maybe for a while until as i said before the pecking order is worked out.
A lot of finches prefer to roost in a nesting box when the weather starts to cool down at night or during cold days, place more boxes than finches and place some fresh dry grass in them so they don't really have to build it themselves but just sleep in it.

Cheers Craig
CathyCraftz

It doesn't seem like he is sick, but I think it is normal for finches to nap once in a while. My female zebra finch used to nap in the afternoon for about four days and she didn't seem sick.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like Craig said, maybe he is needing more nap time as he gets older, and is feeling a bit tired dealing with the new young guys in the house. Good luck with your little friends.
LML
LML
cate

Thank you for the replies since moving out the cage he isn't puffing up or napping as often and he seems happier and i brought a box for the other finches and it seems to be going well. I really appreciate the advice :)
Flight Feathers

If he is 4 or 5 years old then puffing up is normal as he is old.

Return to “Finch Health”