Is Finch Fat or Puffed Up?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
CathyCraftz

I have seen and have owned many zebra finches that are always kind of puffed up but are not sick. Are they obese or sick?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Tiaris

Most likely sick unfortunately.
Obese finches are generally fairly inactive but not necessarily puffed up. The puffed up look is a universal sign of illness in finches.
starman

Cathy,
When the term 'obesity' is used for finches, it implies an extra-ordinary layer of fatty deposits in the breast/abdominal area. This can only be assessed on examining the bird by separating the feathers and looking for yellow(ish) fat deposits in those areas.... the birds do not look particularly blimpish.
Some birds can appear puffy when they use air entrapment to retain body heat in their feathering, and, as Tiaris has already pointed out, this can be when they feel cold and/or sick.
Puffiness combined with lethargy and self-starvation are key indicators of illness.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Rod_L

It's not just finches that fluff up when feeling unwell, all birds fluff up when feeling sick. They do it to try and keep warm. The fluffed out feathers help to trap body heat and keep them warmer. You see plenty of fluffed up birds at shops and it is best to avoid those birds.

If you have a bird that is fluffed up, the first thing to do is bring it indoors and keep it warm and humid. Make sure no drafts get to the bird and then seek vet help.
death to all cats & ants
CathyCraftz

I currently have a finch that is always puffed up but has a lot of appetite and flies around a lot.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
matcho

Cathy,

I really don't know what the problem could be but zebs are pretty hardy but for me if it is puffed up and lethargic (i.e head under the wing and rarely moving) then there may be a problem. I tend to think that it may be because it is getting a little cooler in this part of the world due to the change of the seasons. My goulds and painteds are looking "puffy" in the mornings but still active and feeding chicks in the nest and still on their food.

Ken.
Rod_L

CathyCraftz wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 18:04 I currently have a finch that is always puffed up but has a lot of appetite and flies around a lot.
it could be cold.
make sure the cage or aviary is draft free and make sure it has a nice nest with lots of nesting material :)
death to all cats & ants
Craig52

Great answer Ken, my thoughts exactly. :thumbup: Craig
MuzzaD

Yes on a cool morning the Zebs can be a bit puffed up but recover as they warm up and feed.
In my cabinets I have glass feeders. I have to be careful as sometimes these can get a little moist on the open base and the supply of seed is restricted which means the birds are not getting it at a rate that enables them to be at their best. I regularly check the flow of seed from all my self feeders and not take it for granted that they are flowing freely, especially in cabinets where there is only one or two birds so the level of seed does not drop appreciably.

Return to “Finch Health”