Black/white sesame seeds for gouldians??

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
starman

Tiaris wrote: 21 May 2018, 09:19 A good way to give them a taste of powdered softfoods is to mix a small proportion with sprouted seed.

That is the way that I introduced my Gouldians to soft food. At first, I mixed a little commercial egg and biscuit (ground to a powder) to sprouted seed and over a few weeks, gradually added some blended vegetables. The vegetables are blended Carrots, Peas, Corn and Broccoli..... the first three are frozen and the Broccoli is fresh. All ingredients should be dry before mixing as you don't want to be feeding them mush. The egg and biscuit helps to dry the mix. This is fed to an aviary that has 10 Gouldians, 3 Stars and 2 Silverbills, and all the birds take it readily except for the baby Gouldians who are a bit tentative. I make about a 2 kilogram batch for freezing and dole it out in its frozen state.... they sometimes delve in immediately, can't wait for it to thaw. It is more popular in the Gouldian aviary than in others.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
CathyCraftz

I know this is very late but sesame seeds actually contain a lot of nutrients. It is quite fatty, but it is only in the unsaturated sesame seed.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Diet & Food”