Exciting changes for the Aussie Finch Forum

Latest news from the AFF team.
gomer

It is with deep regret that Derek and I are stepping back from running the Forum as Administrators and Owners, but we are joining the current Moderators as Honorary Moderators.We will have some input to the Forum when the New Owner takes over in the next few days after their Announcement of a new and exciting way the Forum will be run.We will leave it up to the new owner to explain and answer questions directly after their Announcement.

I would like to thank Derek (gomer) for his 10 plus years and his contributions to the Forum; of which many years of voluntary work and hours he has put in for the love of Finches and other birds and Aviculture in general.
Due to balancing work commitments and family commitments Derek has decided to step back in his role as an owner, but will contribute to the Forum when he is able to.

As most members know, my wife suffers from Chronic Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and is in the late stages needing more high care.You can imagine the stresses I am under with this and my own health problems and life in general.
I have also sold all my finches, as I think after 55 years of breeding birds I need to have a good break and get out an see this great country of ours. I ain’t getting any younger but I will logon now and then to support this great Forum with my experiences and learn of new experiences of others on here and also their new Facebook Page. 😊

I/We wish the new owners with forth coming great success with new idea’s and a new format.
Regards
Derek (gomer) and Craig (Craig52)
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone, I'm the mysterious new owner of the forum. I've been handling all of the forum's IT stuff for about two years, so transitioning into the owner role should be pretty seamless.

What's changing?
If you've been a forum member for a long time, you might have noticed it's been struggling for a little while. A lot of bird-keeping discussion has moved to Facebook and other social networks, while Aussie Finch Forum has remained stagnant.

I will be investing a substantial amount of time, energy, and money into redeveloping the forum. There's three initial projects I intend to complete in the next three months:
  • 1. Redesign the forum
    I understand that change is uncomfortable, so the redesign will be mostly cosmetic — just a fresh coat of paint to liven things up a bit. One of the things I'm most excited about is getting a brand new logo commissioned in the classic red, yellow, and green colours.
  • 2. Revive the newsletter
    Yes, the newsletter is coming back. I'm not 100% sure what this will look like yet; it might just be a roundup of the forum's best content from the previous month. If anyone would like to contribute articles, announcements, or news from local bird clubs, send me a PM and we'll talk about it.
  • 3. AFF Facebook page
    If most of the bird discussion is happening on Facebook, why aren't we there? Popular topics from the forum, plus other interesting content, will be shared on Facebook so more people can find it.
What about the current moderators and admins?
I'd like to personally invite all existing moderators and admins to continue in their current role if they wish. It's not my intention to radically change the culture of the forum, and I deeply value your input on the directions we take going forward.

Derek and Craig have expressed that they want to step back from the day-to-day operations of the forum. They will be continuing on as honorary moderators.

How is this being funded?
Many of these great-sounding improvements will cost money to implement, so you might be wondering how I intend to pay for it.

The forum is going to be sponsored by a couple of businesses that sell products for bird owners. Brands like Wombaroo, Yankalilla Seeds, and Nature's Best Bird Food will be offered to members (at a discount) and Aussie Finch Forum will receive a portion of each sale. This money will go towards ongoing costs and future development. It's really a win/win; you'll be able to make a donation to the forum and save money on aviary supplies at the same time.

I have no intention of over-commercializing the forum. I know that nobody likes to see ads, even when they're done with taste and transparency, but I sincerely hope people get behind our supporters and contribute to the success of this community.
Farlie

:thumbup:
starman

Congratulations to all concerned. To Craig and Derek for keeping the forum in good shape through difficult times and to Shane for his insight to take it forward with a new vision.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
matcho

Count me in Shane, I'll still be here and I know(from my past in 33 years of law enforcement) that change can cause some people to be apprehensive of moving out of their comfort zone for what they are used to. Everything has to move with the times and I am sure that we are in good hands. I wish you well with this new endeavour. If donations are still required I'm here.

regards

Ken.
branchez

A big thanks to Derek and Craig and happy new ownership to Shane,I for one will stay posted.
Jack
Canary

Thanks Derek and Craig for AFF. I have enjoyed it for a number of years.

Shane, thanks for taking on AFF and continuing the forum. Your recent involvement and development of AviManage has been appreciated.

Greg
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Derek and Craig. You guys have made this a great forum. Hope that life is good to you in the future, and that we hear from you from time to time.
Shane - what you have been doing and the "whoa things look different already" that happened when I logged on is all good. The Forum continues to be in good hands.
LML
LML
Norto

Thanks Derek and Craig,

i'm very new to the forum but like to come here everyday if possible and i don't see that ever changing.

look forward to the new look.
regards
Norto
rip64

I look forward to the future - it will be great

Thanks

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”