Gouldian breeders — how was your season?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know a lot of breeders are wrapping up their 2018 Gouldian breeding now, so I thought I'd ask how it went?

Here in SA the unseasonably warm Autumn weather extended the breeding season really helped; it's actually still not that cold, so I expect some of my pairs will keep breeding until the moult starts or I physically stop them.

Personally, I've got 24 fledged young from four pairs* in my breeding aviary, with a smattering of eggs and chicks in a couple of still-active nests. There's also another half a dozen fledglings in my (supposedly) non-breeding retirees aviary. One RH cock is a little over 7 years old and still put two chicks on the perch, bless him.

All-in-all, a pretty great season.

*actually started with five pairs, but lost a hen early on and didn't want to throw off the aviary's chemistry by adding a new one.
starman

Coincidentally, I was given five pairs before Christmas by a friend who was being 'overrun' and needed to thin out his stock. I put them in a crowded holding aviary in which there were only three roosting nests for other inhabitants....I didn't want any breeding to occur as I intended to move the aviary early in the new year.
When it came time to prepare for the move, I found that all of the roosting nests' tenants had been evicted and the Gouldians had eggs in them all. During the heatwave conditions that followed some of the chicks and one YH hen perished, one feathered chick disappeared, many thrown eggs littered the floor and breeding ground to a halt. When the weather cooled, I was about to pull the nests for the move, but found that two contained fertile eggs and one had three tiny but healthy chicks.... so although I have prepared a new base, the aviary stays put. Considering that I planned on no Gouldian breeding at all, I'd say that I've had an accidentally, mildly successful season.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
BrettB

Two pair, each bred twice, boxes removed about a month ago.
16 healthy young on the perch.
Solid year

Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
elferoz777

*censored*

I used to have seasons of 100 plus young from 5 pairs but I cant even get more than 4 from a pair recently......maybe bad weather and bad new stock
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Norse

Just starting to lay first round here, although only been in aviary for a month, previous three month in holding cages as I moved, might be a bit late but fingers crossed
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
Tiaris

Having a reasonable Gouldian breeding season here with 45-50 fledged young so far & most pairs still active. Just coming into the colder weather now (belatedly) though, which is bound to put the breaks on & contribute to mortalities.
HowieD

Yeah not the best here in west Sydney very late start with some blue backs from vic and Aussie yellows plenty full eggs and chicks but those cold nights lost the lot lets hope they come thru moult and bring on the warm weather :-(
Lukema

So far I have had 31 young from 4 pairs (2 x AY, 2 x RH) which started nesting mid Feb, 2 pair of BH normal have not laid at all. Introduced RH male 2/12 ago to stir them up but to avail. Currently there are another 18 young in 4 nests looking good to fledge despite temperatures of -2 to -3 over past two weeks. Longtails, Painteds and Cordons also have young in nests.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum Lukema. Do you keep all of the above in one avairy? Or are they spread accross several?
LML
LML
WILLYMEL

HI all me from kalgoorlie wa had a good season got out over 120 so far blue and splits blue and aust yellow and black head yellow backs still some in neat soon time take boxs out and get ready for 2018/2019

Return to “Breeding Finches”