What does this song mean?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Finnch

My male zebra finch keeps singing, does it have a meaning? Is he just trying to impress our female? Or is he just happy? Thanks :) https://youtu.be/JJzbFpmN3EU
Craig52

You answered your questions so yes he is trying to impress the female and yes he is healthy and happy. It is usually a mating song though where he bounces around with a bit of grass in his bill to impress the female who will accept him or ignore him. Craig
arthur

A 'finch-whisperer' friend (who totally accepts the Freudian dictum: that every action is sexually driven) assures me that the bird is singing "Oh Sole Mio" . . (roughly "You Are MY Sunshine")

And that it is definitely directed at a female

Do they have a little cane 'love-nest'? :soppy:
CathyCraftz

Male zebras sing both when they are happy or when they are trying to court a female. You should start watching for any mating behaviour such as mounting and get them a nest if that happens, then the babies are on their way ;). If you don't intend to let them breed, don't give them a nest, they will sleep fine on perches. If that doesn't work, you may need to separate them.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”