Orange breasts breeding times

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Krebsj

Do other breeders find that Orangne Breats breed in Autumn into winter, I can not recall mine ever breeding in spring?
Krebsj

I keep Orange Breasts in Southern NSW so its pretty cold here. I find my Orange Breasts seem to bypass September prefering to breed in Autumn Winter.
What do other breeders find.
Ian Hamilton

All year round, in fact stopping them requires actual separation. I guess its a nice problem to have.
Tiaris

Mostly Feb - Nov. Summer moult.
starman

First fledglings appeared at the beginning of May, still nesting at the present.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Norto

Mine have young in the nest at the moment and another pair re-building for another go. I have only had them since the start of May so not sure if they will stop or whether I may have to intervene to give them a break.
Norto
ratbag

Do you need live food for orange Breasts to breed, and if so where in Adelaide can you buy a regular supply.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ratbag wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 11:20 Do you need live food for orange Breasts to breed, and if so where in Adelaide can you buy a regular supply.
Yup. Live food is especially important when breeding, but they should also be provided with occasional live food throughout the year.

I don't have many finches that require live food, so I can mostly get by with the mealworms I breed myself. Whenever I need a top-up, I just buy a tub from Petstock. I'm sure there are much cheaper sources of mealworms around though — try Camsal Aviaries, which is arguably the superior bird store in SA.
toothlessjaws

I'm in Melbourne and mine seem to (unhelpfully) go down very late in the summer. Its frustrating because I find as soon as the cold sets in here the likelihood of egg-binding skyrockets whereas I never seem to have any problems with it in the warm weather. That leaves me with a very narrow window for OB's and strawberries.
Glen Holland

Naturally OB’s use discarded weaver nests and these are available about March. Could be this time is instinctive now. PS the best stimulus for them is a mist spray, I have even seen them mate in the mist

Return to “Breeding Finches”