Pictorella V WE Masked Finch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Boma

Unfortunately both my Crimson Hens passed away without breeding (although plenty of nests were built and plenty of eggs were laid). I'm now looking to get another species, being either Pictorellas or White Eared Masked Finches, with the hope of better success. I have read a bit about the species on this site and on the web, but was interested to hear from those who have bred them. In particular, which species would be more hardy and does either species prefer to bred in a colony arrangement? The birds would have their own aviary 1.2m X 4m fitted with tea tree branches and have access to the usual seed, seed heads, grit, charcoal, live food and chick weed, etc.
SteveP

I keep and breed both species. My opinion is that pics are hardier, easier to breed and more reliable breeders. My best results with both species has been as single pairs versus colony breeding

Cheers
Steve
gomer

I found both hardy species to keep. Personally I found the pictorella harder to breed then the w/e mask. I did keep the pictorella as single prs per aviary (mixed aviary).I found that was better for them myself. With the w/e mask I had both single prs pr aviary( mixed aviary) and two aviaries with three pr per aviary with the three pr producing far better results. Interestingly with the Pictorella's some of the birds breed really well at about 4 years old plus at one point in time years ago.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tiaris

Bred both previously. Maskeds are slightly more social but IMO slightly more prone to worm infestation. Both can be very productive but I had more consistent success with Pictorellas. All my best breeding results came from single pairs with both. A few attempts at colony breeding both were not successful compared to single pairs. Both love low nest sites especially in growing grasses. Seeding grasses & small livefood for best breeding diet. I found WE Maskeds were stimulated by freshly crushed charcoal & used it in their nests, likewise Pictorellas with freshly crushed (finely) cuttlebone.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”