Swollen chest/lump female zebra finch

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
kim68046

Hi!
New here. I just adopted three zebra finches from my brother. One of the females has a swollen chest or a lump of some sort. She hasn't laid any eggs in a couple of weeks. She is eating and drinking OK. I thought maybe a binded egg but seems like an odd place? Photo link below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BwVBrxLgMHokV4on8
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hopefully some one more "vetinary" will chip in. But - when you gently feel the bump is is hard or soft? If she is otherwise healthy just keep an eye on her. Is she an older bird, or a young one? Welcome to the Forum and finch keeping in general.
LML
LML
kim68046

I have not felt the bump yet so not sure if it is hard or soft. She is around two or three years old. Thanks for your reply....will definitely keep a close eye on her!
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like a cyst...🤔
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

Had a Star hen who had what looked similar, but with a bit of bare skin showing through . . . Many, many moons ago

She didn't appear to be sick or stressed

Took her to the vet. (no bird vets in those days) . . who diagnosed a hernia which he could not treat . . but said that a post mortem would prove him right or wrong . .

I declined his kind offer, and took her home

She met her maker a couple of years later, still with her 'problem' but raised a number of chicks in the interim, and never appeared in any discomfort

Not saying that your bird has whatever mine had . . but common-sense can be a good standby in these situations . .
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting to read that Arthur. First thought on seeing her was - looks like a hernia, but do birds get those? 2nd thought was a cyst, hence the question about the texture of the "bump" Have not had bird/s with this so is pure guess work on my part.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”