Aviary Stocking

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
animal_expert05

Hello everybody.

I am thinking about building a small aviary and I am wondering what species of birds are hardy, peaceful and attractive. I really like gouldian finches, orange breasted finches and blue faced parrot finchs. I would also like to get a pair of king quail and I already have a galah and cockatiel who will be going into the aviary. I would also like a pair of pigeons. I like Namaqua doves, diamonds doves, white breasted ground dove and woompoo Pigeon. Which Pigeon is best for a small aviary?

Are all these birds I have listed compatible?

I am aware that finches and a galah are not particularly compatible so I was wondering it would be possible to have the aviary split in half so that the finches can access both sides of the aviary while the galah can only access one side.
Last edited by animal_expert05 on 23 Jan 2019, 20:28, edited 3 times in total.
arthur

The Galah would have a lot of fun . .

But I doubt that any of the others mentioned would :thumbdown:
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The galah is going to be a non-starter. You need to look into building two aviaries.
animal_expert05

I could always keep the galah in his cage and leave the aviary for other birds.
collector_and_buyer

Guarantee you will have either birds without toes or even legs,if you leave the Galah and Cockatiel in with the finches.
arthur

A-E you are obviously a beginner . . we all were once . . and everybody on this forum wants you to succeed

First rule: Hasten Slowly

Second rule: Different species groups seldom . . if ever . . mix well

Read and absorb as much as you can from this site; it may take a while but it will be well worthwhile . .

There is a bit of 'chaff'; but there is a huge amount of 'wheat'

Find an experienced bird-BREEDER in your area . . finch/ parrot/ whatever . . and use him as a mentor (may be easier said than done, but try . . they usually love to help)

Best of luck . . but often, you need to make your own

And if any doubt . . read my first rule again (and again) . . :thumbup:
BrettB

Sniff ... anyone else smell troll
Perhaps I am too harsh
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
animal_expert05

BrettB wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 23:35 Sniff ... anyone else smell troll
Perhaps I am too harsh
I am not a troll. I simply asked a question that if galahs and cockatiels, which are commonly seen with zebra finches in the wild, could be kept with other finches in captivity. I knew the probably couldn’t due to the size difference between the birds. However I asked simply in case I was wrong and the birds could cohabitat. If I was a troll I would be asking if peregrine falcon, rainbow Lorikeet and domestic Pigeon were compatible. ;-)

I am experienced with parrot species. I have kept one cockatiel and a green cheeked conure and I am currently keeping a galah and a cockatiel. All of these birds eithier I have rescued or someone in my immeadiate family has rescued. Yes, I am however new to keeping finch’s and mixing species in aviaries as you can probably tell. Thank you everyone for the advice.
Tiaris

I don't think you are a troll.
Arthur has given some excellent advice.
As far as the finches are concerned, the Gouldians, Orangebreasts & Parrotfinches you suggested generally mix very well together and would be an excellent mix of species for your aviary.

If your planned aviary is relatively small, the mixing of quail, pigeons & parrots with finches is highly likely to hamper breeding success for most species and bring about significant health and compatibility problems.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. As a finchbreeder who is the daughter of a weerio/cockatiel breeder, I would strongly suggest two avairys with a solid wall between them. Back when we had Galahs that is how we kept them. Yes my birding has changed over the years too. The Galah and weerio if they are used to each other could quite possibly co-habitate. While as advised above, the finches and quail will need to be kept seperate from them. Gouldians, Orangebreasteds and King quail I have kept together without problems. While I love the Diamond doves i no longer keep them with these finches as I found them unsuitable to keep with anything but Zebs, Bengos, Canarys and Javas (the more bombproof types) Make your finch avairy as spacious as you can, and enjoy. PS lots of great ideas in the build section.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”