Greens and Grains

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
vicnorthone

Thanks Tiaris
..........several weeks ago ...........i was harvesting a trial plot of early red Dakota millet as green seed and it contained a lot of what i would call wild millet......only problem i had......the wild millet......a weed to me... wasn't tall enough to go through my header and if it did, due to its small size it went out the back.........
Tiaris

Red Dakota is a great green seed - every bit as palatable as white-French but grows quicker. Pretty ordinary as ripe dry seed though. Do you grow it for your own use with the birds or sell it too?
With the G&G I think the Johnson grass must have just been a weed in the original barnyard patch too. Also remembered there was a touch of milo(sorghum) in it too (not that my birds ever ate it).
vicnorthone

Thanks for the input.......I can grow millets under irrigation but have limited freeze storage.........trialling at this stage......still irrigating a late crop of white French millet which should be available as freshly cut sheaves at the Geelong sale. .....as long as mother nature does not dramatically interfere.

As for making a good green and grains......I agree .........why would you want to dilute a good brew by using fillers like sorghum and panorama....unless it was going to be a price mix and not a quality mix.........

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”