Can I move the nest??

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Alwal

Hello,

I have 2 WILD spice finches who have made a home on my balcony.
They build around 8 nests on top of a light fitting they kept falling down, so I bought them a basket nest that I attached to the light fitting. They took to it and now I suspect they have eggs. It’s been around 2 weeks since I suspect they laid eggs. I don’t see them much, but the nest moves frequently, I assume they’re always in there.

I just got a notice that I will be having a rental inspection next week!
Pretty sure the property managers won’t approve of the nest attached to the light fitting! No pets allowed in my unit. I could move the nest to hook onto the shutters which is still not great but could be considered less likely to cause damage...

Can I move the nest?
How long should the eggs take to hatch?
Should I move the nest before or after the eggs hatch?

I appreciate any advice!
Thanks in advance
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think any of your options bode well for the survival of those eggs.

Moving after hatching might be slightly more survivable for the young, and probably has a slightly higher chance of the parents returned. They take about 14 days to hatch.

Your best bet is to find some way to keep the nest exactly where it is.
arthur

Firstly, the eggs have probably hatched by this . .

Now I ask this question in all seriousness. Are you going to be evicted because you provided assistance to a couple of tiny, harmless finches??

My advice is to ask forgiveness, be very contrite, and tell your friendly real estate inspector that you will remove the nest basket, as soon as the young fledge . . in about three weeks . .

And then try moving it to wherever you had originally intended

Leave the nest intact when/ if you do, as Spice Finch families return to roost in their nest for quite some time after fledging

Then let us know the answer to your question . .

Best of Luck
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would not say a word, however if the agent comments, just tell the Truth. Say that wild birds were trying to nest there and you took pity on them and provided a nest. If the agent grumbles still about it, go to Arthurs suggestion about removing the nest when the young fledge. The agent is not likely to be that hard hearted. PS This is advice from a Landlady (all be it one who would tell you to leave the nest there permanently) As long as the nest is not damaging the fitting it is not against the rules, and as the birds are not captive neither are they.
LML
LML
Alwal

Thanks for your answers!! I’ve decided not to move the nest! Hopefully the property manager is understanding.

How would I know if they’ve hatched?
They’ve hidden themselves well and I dont want to disturb them by looking too close.
arthur

About a fortnight or so after hatching, you will hear what sounds like soft whispering noises particularly when parent enters the nest to feed them

Correct decision IMO
arthur

G'Day Al . .

Update, please . .
Alwal

Hello!

I didn’t move the nest, and the property managers made no comments on it!
There’s definitely some babies in the nest! The chirping is getting louder but I haven’t seen them come out yet.
What happens next?!

I’ve put some padding on the glass table under the nest so hopefully it’s a bit softer when the do come out.
Is there anything else I can do? Food? Water? I just don’t want to attract too many other bigger birds.
arthur

Don't think that you need to do anything

Perhaps not go too close to the nest, lest the chicks flush early

The birds will do the rest, and will return to roost in the nest each night

A good result all round

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”