Safe or not?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Jenk

Hi All,

I have to re apply concrete sealer to the slab on which my aviery is built on, I have been putting it off for some time because I'm concerned it might harm my birds or even kill them. Can anyone offer any experience or advice in this area please?

Do you think they'll be OK? i really don't want to have to relocate the birds to do it
Jenk
garyh

In my experience,it would not be safe,have to ask the question of why you have to reseal for an aviary,garyh
Jenk

garyh wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 20:09 In my experience,it would not be safe,have to ask the question of why you have to reseal for an aviary,garyh
its not a slab solely for the aviery, its a shared space...I have a large concrete area probably about 50 square meters on which I have a small aviery, shed etc on. The portion of slab directly under the aviery i will not be sealing for obvious reasons, but the surrounding area will be sealed.
Jenk
Rathers

I don't have any experience doing something like that but it seems wise to relocate the birds if you have the means to do that. Better safe than sorry, right?
arthur

If it is the sealer that I am thinking of , there would be a lot of 'fumes' and definitely not safe for birds . . or humans to inhale

And would apply the 'All dogs bite' theory as espoused by "Rathers"
Craig52

If it is an acrylic sealer imo it would not worry your birds in particular in an open outside area where it dries so fast.
Jenk

Thanks all.

Craig Yes it is an acrylic sealer, but i think to be sure ill just relocate them but the reason why i didn't want to relocate them is i think maybe a one of the hens maybe sitting on eggs, would that still be likely this time of year? I keep Orange breasts and Double bars... I think an OB hen may be sitting?
Jenk
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of birds would be breeding this time of year.

An acrylic sealer is unlikely to cause any issues—just don't let them eat it.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”