red factor canaries

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
rodsbirds2

hi....i would like to find out when to feed ..adult.. red factor canaries ,red food in melbourne.=when do adult canaries moult..?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have thought they would be about finished the moult for this year, if all the feathers round my place are any indication.
LML
LML
rodsbirds2

finchbreeder wrote: 02 May 2019, 19:40 I would have thought they would be about finished the moult for this year, if all the feathers round my place are any indication.
LML
thank you for your reply...but i am still unsure what months canary breeders feed out red food ,i understand for young in the nest it would be pryer to breeding season ,but i think i missed the right time for adult birds as mine have moulted out yellow,no big deal but would have liked reds as well .thank again for your reply.............................rodney
deegs

For young, you need to start feeding them soon after they have become independent of their parents. I have done this in the past as I move them into a seperate aviary and can selectively feed them. For adults, you'll need to provide the food as soon as they stop breeding at the end of the season, this would be December January in Melbourne I'd guess. If they start to moult and don't have the colour food all new feathers will be yellow or orange. It's better to start feeding early so you don't get a mix of yellow and red.
Cheers, Deegs.
rodsbirds2

deegs wrote: 05 May 2019, 10:20 For young, you need to start feeding them soon after they have become independent of their parents. I have done this in the past as I move them into a seperate aviary and can selectively feed them. For adults, you'll need to provide the food as soon as they stop breeding at the end of the season, this would be December January in Melbourne I'd guess. If they start to moult and don't have the colour food all new feathers will be yellow or orange. It's better to start feeding early so you don't get a mix of yellow and red.
Cheers, Deegs.
thank you i hope i am on the ball next time around.....................rodney

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”