What are peoples thoughts of this combination

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Talven

I have a 1.5x1.5x2.2m aviary. It has in it a pair of bourkes, a pair of turks and 4 king quail. Thinking of adding a pair of canaries as well as some finches. The finches will probably be a pair of gouldians and something else. My son would like a pair of African fire finches but I don't know if all of these birds will get along. Pretty sure the canaries, gouldians, bourkes, turks and quail will get along ok just not sure about the fire finches.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.
Tiaris

My thoughts are that the aviary is already fully stocked and that in such a restricted space the Bourkes and Turks are likely to have competitive issues when Spring comes. I believe that if you were to add your planned birds it would then be very over-stocked. I don't wish to burst your bubble but believe it would be best to have just one pair of the parrots perhaps with a pair of finches for best results and least problems.
deegs

Fully agree, time for another aviary mate!!
Talven

I would have thought I had space for more birds. I know it's not huge aviary but everything I have read seems to suggest I can comfortably house more in it than I have. What is your reasoning behind saying it is fully stocked? Not suggesting you don't have valid reasons. Generally my birds are indoor "tame" parrots. I'm new to keeping birds in an aviary so basing stocking my aviary from what information I can find online and various forums. So much conflicting information so many different opinions and so little solid fact.
Rod_L

Is the aviary 1.5 meters long x 1.5 wide x 2.2 high or what way is it orientated?

Birds fly lengthwise, not up and down, so if the aviary is 1.5 wide x 1.5 long x 2.2 high, it doesn't have much room at all in it.
If the aviary is 1.5 wide x 1.5 high x 2.2 long, then that is a better size and would be suitable for a pr of small parrots and some finches/ canaries.

The main reason you don't want too many parrots is because they can fight over nest boxes during the breeding season if there isn't enough space between the nest boxes. Having 1 pr of parrots and some finches would prevent issues with nest boxes.

The other issue is the number of quails. The males are territorial and will fight in a small aviary so you are better off with 1pr or 1 male and a few females. Again tho it depends on which way the aviary is. If the aviary is 1.5 wide x 1.5 long x 2.2 high, it is only suitable for 1 pr.

A good sized aviary for a mixed collection is about 2 meters square or 2 meters wide x 2 meters high x 3 meters long.

If you keep small parrots in long aviaries (more than 2 meters), you should hang some shade cloth on the inside of the aviary at each end or put some plants at the end. Parrots can spook at night and they fly into the wire and crack their skulls and die. If you have plants or shadecloth at either end of the aviary, it helps reduce the chance of the birds flying into the wire.

Most Australian finches do better in colonies and Gouldians are no exception. If you get a group of 6 or more (depending on aviary size), the birds can choose their own mates and usually breed more readily.
death to all cats & ants
arthur

I will hark back to my policy of not mixing different species . .

You might get away with it, but there might be 'tears' . . Why take the chance?

And if the literature that you are reading tells you that you can add more to what you have; you are reading the wrong books . .

Almost invariably: "Less is More" in bird husbandry

Take the time to search this site for topics that may relate to your question
Talven

I have had a look through more threads on how many can fit in an aviary and I have worked out where I have been caught out. I was basing number on cubic cm needed per bird rather than square cm. Pretty sure that's fine for working out cage space for indoor birds. As I said new to using aviaries so still learning. Questions are getting ahead of my reading speed so I throw out the questions for you more experienced folk and try to catch up while you steer me in the right direction.

Aware of the situation with the quail. One male and his little harem all came together as a group when I got them. Only planned on a pair but didn't have the heart to break up his flock. I wasn't planning on letting the parrots breed in the aviary. I have a cage set aside for that. Currently full of budgies or they'd be in that now. They are only juvies so probably won't allow them to breed until 2020 season anyway.

Thanks to those who offered helpful advice. Much appreciated. Probably won't see me around here much as there isn't any point getting finches. No room.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you have a space where you can put a 70cm x 70cm square? that is 3mtrs long? e.g. on the edge of a patio? If you use slides so you can section off into 3 to catch them this works for finches. Think lateral, and enjoy the little beauties in life.
LML
LML
Talven

The only space I have left already has a cage in it. I have the cage I was planning on breeding the turks and bourkes in the only space I have left. Currently it has my budgies in. The turks and bourkes were never meant to go into the aviary but the budgies were bullying the quail so I had to swap them out. I may get rid of the budgies and move the parrots out of the aviary entirely.

If I didn't have the parrots in the aviary and just the quail could I get a few finches in the aviary? What do you all think of the birds mentioned as being compatible to live together? Or should I just go with one of the bird types?

Not yet ready to think about getting into breeding so when I said pair I meant it in the numerical sense. Looking at setting the aviary up to be pleasing to the ear and the eye not for breeding birds at least not yet.
collector_and_buyer

Another thing that you have not accounted for is, what if they do manage to breed?.How many birds are you then going to have in the aviary,it already has enough.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”