The Future of Aviculture

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 09:10
noah.till wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:46 One thing that I notice a lot now, are that people that have birds and do not have the time to get them out and give them the tip top best, they usually just tend to rehome them, I got a heap of zebra finches, a quaker parrot and 7 bourkes parrots from 2 different people who did take pretty good care of their birds, but just wanted them to have a better life with someone else that can spend a lot more time with them
Same with me. Not as many birds, but a classmate did give me her budgie 'cause she didn't want it.
I guess a lot of people just loose interest like with an old toy, the bloke that gave me the Bourkes parrots and the zebras, did have them originally for his kids, and of course his kids wanted to hand rear them, but the eventually found the non glamorous part of it when they had to wake up early to feed them, so they lost interest and the poor bloke had to do the birds all by himself, until he found my ad on a notice board and gave them, including the aviary to me. And not to mention he also gave me a small cage and a pair of Green cheeked conures as well
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

What's also quite sad is the fact so many people are almost 'hypnotised' into believing parrots are the only birds. Many people I know are put off birds because of the noise they make and the aggressive biting and are quite stunned when they see finches. Many people I know are also put off birds because they think you have to 'clip their wings', which is absolutely rubbish for finches, and in my opinion, any bird. There are also some awful videos that come up online on YouTube where people cram 4 or 5 BFPFs or Longtails into a 'Breeding Cage' aka a 60x40cm cage with seed and water and one nest box. Absolutely awful
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Brisbane_Finches_333

noah.till wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 09:15
Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 09:10
noah.till wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:46 One thing that I notice a lot now, are that people that have birds and do not have the time to get them out and give them the tip top best, they usually just tend to rehome them, I got a heap of zebra finches, a quaker parrot and 7 bourkes parrots from 2 different people who did take pretty good care of their birds, but just wanted them to have a better life with someone else that can spend a lot more time with them
Same with me. Not as many birds, but a classmate did give me her budgie 'cause she didn't want it.
I guess a lot of people just loose interest like with an old toy, the bloke that gave me the Bourkes parrots and the zebras, did have them originally for his kids, and of course his kids wanted to hand rear them, but the eventually found the non glamorous part of it when they had to wake up early to feed them, so they lost interest and the poor bloke had to do the birds all by himself, until he found my ad on a notice board and gave them, including the aviary to me. And not to mention he also gave me a small cage and a pair of Green cheeked conures as well
On the other hand, that budgie was very well cared for by her, so I guess maybe the family got sick of all the work.
noah.till

Better off that way I guess, its good they rehomed it before the care rate of it went down
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 09:19 What's also quite sad is the fact so many people are almost 'hypnotised' into believing parrots are the only birds.
I agree, you should see some of the looks I get when I mention "Ruddy' or 'Waxbill' :wtf:
Brisbane_Finches_333

Try looking up 'ruddy' on the internet.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Apparently it's British slang for bloody and means when your face gets red. When you look up 'ruddy finch' it comes up with Crimsons, Saint Helenas, Orange Breasts and Cubans. And a few ruddies too.
noah.till

Oops, I do use the full name and 'Ruddy Finch' as well, if they are still cross eyed I just show a photo
Brisbane_Finches_333

Literally if you scroll down there is about two lines of ruddies (and a Crimson that someone mistook) and then it just comes up with random finches.
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 09:32 Literally if you scroll down there is about two lines of ruddies (and a Crimson that someone mistook) and then it just comes up with random finches.
exactly, they also come up with a heap of finches on a perch and like anyone we are talking about would know what the right one is

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”