So... what on earth is up with the Black Throated Finch and the Adani Mine

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Apologies for the long title. I’m just curious to see peoples’ verdicts and opinions on the Black-Throated Finch plan that Adani is making for the new mine in the Galilee Basin.

Personally I think that this is absolute rubbish and they are putting half of their new ‘habitat’ on a proposed Clive Palmer mine. I think of it as that these birds live there because that’s where they have for thousands of generations and that’s what suits them. Adani can’t just kick them out to build some mine. That’s like kicking everyone in Brisbane out of their homes and moving them to a completely different place. Except there’s a lot less finches in the Galilee than people in Brisbane...

Anyways, let’s see what people think.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Tiaris

I doubt that the whole Galilee basin is going to be a big open cut pit.
noah.till

There are sections of the Galilee Basin being reserved for the Black throats, but considering they move all the time, there really is no excuses
It is now all going ahead as now the Government has approved Adani's Black throat management plan, and people are considering creating acclimatization cages for birds bred in captivity, to be introduced
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Tiaris wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 07:06 I doubt that the whole Galilee basin is going to be a big open cut pit.

Well apparently there's a big population of birds in the 41 square kilometre site where the mine is going which makes it so contreversial.
Brisbane_Finches_333

noah.till

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=back ... DUMyEcNftM:

Check out the link following this image saying "Backyard breeders could save Adani"
Its a very good article, and really promotes Aussie aviculturists
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Rod_L

Why the hell are they allowing an Indian company to rip up vast areas of Australia for coal, and destroying a heap of native animals and plants in the process?

It's not just Parson Finches that will be affected. The mine will destroy wetlands and wipe out species of native fishes that are found nowhere else in the world. Most of the flora and fauna found there is not commonly found in captivity, assuming any of it is.

The Great barrier Reef (GBR) will be affected due to the train line running from the mine to the ocean so the coal can be shipped through the GBR. It's a bloody marine park and one of the great natural wonders of the world and the government is going to allow a giant harbor to be built just so some Indians can destroy our country and release more CO2 into the air.

If the mine goes ahead, there will be more air pollution from the coal being burnt, as well as fewer species on the planet. All thanks to the idiots in government.

This whole situation shits me.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The conservation area will be established, managed and protected in parallel with mining activities.
Surely commonsence says this should be done ahead of mining activities? Just as the observation of movement patterns should have been? As any activity in the area will alter the movement patterns. Because while the area put aside is pleasingly large. If the movement patterns have not been established there is no way of knowing that it is an area the birds move within. Or do they just plan on frightening them out there?
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The endangered finches threatening the Adani mine and the opening up of Queensland’s newest coal province are being bred in suburban homes and traded over the internet for as little as $30. Southern black-throated finches existed in large numbers.
This is not an endorsement of Aviculture. It is a cop out by suggesting there are so many in captivity that those in the wild do not matter. Beware forked tounges that speak sneaky. Here in the West people are advertising for mates for their lone or single sex birds because they are so hard to get. So I would really like to know where all these captive birds are?
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All Austalian mines should have to be at least 65% Australian owned. And I have no objections to a Chinese or Indian or any other overseas born daughter-in-law cause I am not racist either.
Going back on topic. We need to look to the long term future of our country. Tourism viewing species that can be seen nowhere else in the world can be fully sustainable. So I commend the work being done - all be it later than it should have been done - to extend the land that is suitable for the Black Throated finch. But keep a close watch that it is done, as this company has reputedly been a little lax with compliance in some locations.
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”