Vitaworms

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Talven

Do any of you use these for your birds? My local pet store has just started stocking them. Supposed to be pretty good as a food item but that's info from a place trying to sell them. Would rather hear from the end user especially as they are black soldier fly pupae rather than maggot. Not in a position to farm my own maggots. I have mealworms on the go but they aren't the best choice so I'm looking for alternatives.
noah.till

I used to keep a bearded dragon for 8 years, and in that time looking for different live foods, I have heard people using them, and I personally have used black soldier fly pupae to the bearded dragon, but I found they went mouldy and died too quickly (even when I kept them in the right conditions and removed any dead ones), and from what I can remember, I think they would be too large for finches, and they don't move around at all, and by the looks of them I would personally think Finches would think not much of them.
Because of the mould and the ways they are tended to be cultivated in, I would think they are too risky to give to finches regarding fungal infections and the risks of parasite infestations, but in the end its your choice
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Tiaris

I think the main birds which would show interest in them would be softbills, buttonquail, etc. Most of the smaller finches would struggle to eat them & my guess is that most wouldn't even try.
noah.till

Quails would clean them up easily, but as myself and Tiaris have mentioned, there would be not much point for finches
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Quails eat anything you give them, as long as it’s raw meat. My friend gives them mince as a cheap substitute (along with maggots and fruit flies).
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Talven

Ah well back to looking for alternatives for the finches. Figured my quail would do fine with them as they eat everything else but no point if the finches won't have a bar of them.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Yeah, I don't think the smaller finches will eat them (might work for softbills). In my opinion just stick to other livefoods.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”