Gouldian breeding

Includes Species Profile.
Talven

Just wondering how long after colouring up will Gouldians reproduce? My birds are finally colouring up and I'd like to know how long I have to separate the genders. My aviary is too small to have paired birds and I don't have a spare cage right at the moment.
Craig52

Gouldians are one finch that are pretty much mature and able to breed when fully moulted out or half moulted but can breed uncoloured as well, hens only become sexually mature when their bill turns black.
But in saying that, make sure they haven't got access to nest boxes or nesting material or they will breed. The normal breeding season for gouldians is late February through to September.
Second year birds are more successful with breeding than first year birds in my experience.
If your birds are visually sexable start selling them now so breeders/buyers can see they are young birds.
Craig
noah.till

I had I cock bird that proved fertile without colouring up at all, and he made nests in brush cylinders, not the normal nest boxes
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Talven

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that they needed to be fully coloured to breed so I would have more time but if breeding season is usually Feb - Sept maybe I'll be ok. Should have the spare cage emptied in the next several days, hopefully sooner.

Return to “Gouldian”