Brush in Brisbane

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Trigger

Hiya, apologies for the specificity of this thread. I'm hoping some other Brisbane (or better yet Bayside/Redlands) breeder would be happy to reveal some of the spots to gather malelueca brush? I'm aware of the Irbyana forests at Jimboomba but was hoping to find a source closer to the bayside (or at least southside). Thanks in advance, Trigger.
The birds feast on Lebanese cucumber while the rest of us have to settle for the continental variety...says it all really!
Brisbane_Finches_333

Trigger wrote: 23 May 2016, 15:58 Hiya, apologies for the specificity of this thread. I'm hoping some other Brisbane (or better yet Bayside/Redlands) breeder would be happy to reveal some of the spots to gather malelueca brush? I'm aware of the Irbyana forests at Jimboomba but was hoping to find a source closer to the bayside (or at least southside). Thanks in advance, Trigger.
Hi,

Where abouts are the Irbyana forests, as in, an address? I've been trying to look for melaleuca brush for some time but unfortunately most of the stuff around me is in people's backyards or on the kerbside. The only time I've actually managed to get brush is from a local park which involved a daring dash at 6:00am on a rainy sunday morning to not be seen. Do you now know of any other places near Brisbane now?

Thanks
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you thought to get to know the elderly neighbour down the street with the overgrown garden. You know the one you are going to offer to help by pruning the garden. which just happens to have plants you can use the prunings off. Win win.
LML
LML
noah.till

Or just do the neighbors a favor by "removing the branches hanging over the fence"
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Well a quick google search of 'Irbyana Forest' brought up the Logan City Council website which had a handy guide which showed the addresses of all the irbyana locations. The one closest to brisbane for any brissie breeders is as follows: Moffatt Park, Moffatt Road, Waterford West QLD.
noah.till

Jeez, I really now realize how lucky I am, I only need to walk into the backyard or into the paddock to get brush
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Life in the suburbs is pretty different. On the other hand, when I was younger, I used to live in this glorious 7 acre property just outside of brisbane that was absolute paradise! 3/4 of it was beautiful rainforest with plenty of seeding grass and a lovely little creek that I used to play in. It even came with an aviary but unfortunately my parents had to sell it.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bush or 'Burbs they all have their advantages. Bush gives you natural planting to begin with, and greater bushfire risk. 'Burbs gives you space restrictions and closer neighbours if something happens. Good luck to all finchos for the summer season, with the birds and the bushfires.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”