moxidectin plus

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
gomer

Have tried some moxidectin plus .05 ml straight in the crop,on seven trial birds today,one being fledged only two days(The other three fledglings died,not happy) Will let you know how it goes on them.Also have birds in avairy next door approx 12, on wormout 2ml per 160 ml of water for two days.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
fincher

are you refering to wormout gell by i think its vetafarm gomer how did u find mixing it. i personally dont like useing it in waters as never can get a good consistent mix but isnt too bad to crop needle it
gomer

Yes Chris,I bought A litre of it a few years ago so I am trying to use it up.Your right it takes alot of mixing in the water to mix thoroughly.I would not buy it again for that reason.As i like to use the crop needle,or add direct to bird.
I have had no casaulties on either the wormout or moxidectin plus.
The moxidectin plus direct in the crop @ .05ml worked well on the seven blue goulds I gave it to.
fincher

adding a bit of warm water first to the gel helps a bit but still is hard enough to get it consisten. mit have to try the moxedectin plus
garymc

I have tried 0.05ml of moxidectin plus directtly to crop with crop needle - with 100% fatal results - to the birds (about 10minutes its all it took). Have done similarly with avitrol plus (and at times gone 0.1ml) without any harm to the birds. Never had any problems using just the moxidectin (not plus).

Now I alternate between avitrol plus direct by crop needle and moxidectin plus administered in the drinking water - without any dramas.

Concluded that it must be the amount of praziquental (which is for the tapeworms) in the moxidectin plus.

Does getting a dose of of 0.001ml involve diluting the moxidectin plus in water proportionally or is there a trick to getting such a small quantity?
Will_36

Have been using moxidectin plus directtly & in water for a year now with no deaths.
Keeping Gouldians,Double Bars,Diamonds & Painted Finches.
gomer

garymc wrote:I have tried 0.05ml of moxidectin plus directtly to crop with crop needle - with 100% fatal results - to the birds (about 10minutes its all it took). Have done similarly with avitrol plus (and at times gone 0.1ml) without any harm to the birds. Never had any problems using just the moxidectin (not plus).

Now I alternate between avitrol plus direct by crop needle and moxidectin plus administered in the drinking water - without any dramas.

Concluded that it must be the amount of praziquental (which is for the tapeworms) in the moxidectin plus.

Does getting a dose of of 0.001ml involve diluting the moxidectin plus in water proportionally or is there a trick to getting such a small quantity?
I wonder if the birds suffocated as it can be accidentally put into the lungs not the crop,As there is two passage ways in a birds throat,One to the lungs one to the crop.I have seen this happen with crop drenching a few times.On finches Done by myself when leaning,Aswell as parrots.

How many birds gave you a 100% death rate ?
What was the gauge needle used ?

Will try a few more birds soon,to test it more.As posibly different finches may have different reactions to it.
garymc

Probably lost 3 or 4 birds (which was every single one that cropped) the first time using Moxidectin plus (from memory they were painteds), and the second time using it was a crimson chat. I spoke to Dr Colin Walker about it and he couldn't explain hence I haven't tried it since.

From what I believe it is quite difficult to get the needle down the the "wrong hole" as the osophegus is much smaller than the path to the crop.

Have used the same needles with avitrol plus successfully on probably >500birds over the years including such things as orange cheeks, red-earred firetails, peales parrotfinches etc with no losses.

Interesting thought though - my container of moxidectin plus appears have a "white" residue that settles out and then requires a bit of shaking to get it back into solution. When I put the syringe in I invariably draw from the bottom. Could be something in that because I could not honestly say for certain that I shook the bottle before using it.

What is the quantity of praziquentel in the moxidectin plus that you are using Gomer?
gomer

The rate of praziquantel on the moxidectin from APC that i bought, Is 18.8 mg/ml. Your right it does look to need a good shake before use.Ithink I read years ago about people using praziquantel for worming finches.I believe it is used in Droncit for dogs.Just did a google on it and it says it can be used on birds and chickens.
BENSONSAN

ALso prazaquental is used in worm enda plus which works well. And also with milbemycin heartworm and allwormer for dogs. Its interesting hearing what you guys are doing. I just cant catch all my finches to crop erm lol.

Return to “Finch Health”