Need help with finches

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Backyardquails

Hi, I'm Alisa and new to the group. I have started my quail collection with kings, stubble and bobwhite's. Looking to build large aviary to give natural habitat for each. I will also be looking for other button quails later. What I'm hoping to find out is what finches will mix with my quails. Never breed finches before so it is going to be a long road. I only want finches with my quails as I'm love quails and not into parrots. Any help will be great. Cheers
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Alisa, welcome to the forum.

All of those quail species can be mixed with finches in a suitably large aviary. I'd avoid any finches that are too skittish and flighty, just because quails are quite a bit bigger than them, and they don't need that stress. I can't think of any commonly kept beginner-friendly finch that would exclude though.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi alisa! Most finches will do just fine with quails, some that are good for beginners are Zebra Finches and Bengalese Finches. Here's some websites that you can visit to learn more about them!

https://www.aviculturehub.com.au/

http://birdcare.com.au/

cliftonfinchaviaries.org/

Zebras and Bengalese are the best for beginners. They are easy to breed, hardy and will survive in almost any environment. Just make sure you have lots of greens (seeding grass from 'weed' grasses, broccoli, kale, silverbeet and lebanese cucumbers are good examples), some nest boxes/baskets, suitable nesting material (you can get 'swamp grass' from pet barn or city) and lots of seed!

Also, another good species is the Gouldian Finch, they are super colourful but require a dry environment and are a little harder to breed.

Thanks
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Backyardquails

My biggest fear is I'm working on a new mutation of bobwhite and I don't want them getting sick. Would finches above my quails make them more prone to sicknesses. Stubbles will not be put with finches as they are to flighty at this point in time.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As long as you have an appropriate worming and parasite control regime in place, keep the aviary as dry as possible, and sweep up droppings and discarded food periodically; your risk of disease shouldn't be any greater.
noah.till

G'day Alisa, and welcome to the forum
Any of the larger finches would be fine with quails
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Backyardquails

Ok thank you so much. Will start looking into finches and care needed to get started. Thank you all for your help.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Having spend a lot of today, sorting my King Quail to decide which should remain in the colour mutation breeding program. (34 birds - They are spread accross my place and my mothers - Thanks Mum) I can relate to this. But I am a fincho first with quail a close 2nd. I also breed an interesting mix of Zebra finch mutations, a few Canarys, a few Gouldians, and a few Double Bars. Have had other types at times. But not so much right now. Quail are a much bigger threat to finches than the other way round, so go for it.
LML
LML
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Alisa & Welcome to the Forum
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As you are into quail mutations and they are monochromatic. The Zebs and Bengos are also monochromatic finches so this would probably be a great tie in. Ditto a number of other Munias and Nuns. Zebs can be mixed with the others, but the others should not be mixed together due to a tendancy to mule breeding by enthusiasm. Enjoy.
LML
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”