Paradise Parrots

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
noah.till

finchbreeder wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 10:13 If they did exist, that would be the likeliest location. Out the back of nowhere where the cockies know how to keep quiet.
LML
Too right, those property's are hundreds of hectares in size, perfect place for them to dissapear into and not be found for a long time
Oh boy, would I love to go on a trip looking for them
Is Phil Digney still alive?

Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

There was a Vietnamese rat-like mammal that was thought to be extinct 30+ years ago, but an individual was caught on a camera set up by conservationists last year. I hope there's still some individuals lurking around these areas. I also think the situation of the paradise parrot currently is going to be shared by the Orange-Bellied Parrot in 10-20 years time. It really is vital we conserve habitat for these birds, to ensure their survival into the future.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 11:17 There was a Vietnamese rat-like mammal that was thought to be extinct 30+ years ago, but an individual was caught on a camera set up by conservationists last year. I hope there's still some individuals lurking around these areas. I also think the situation of the paradise parrot currently is going to be shared by the Orange-Bellied Parrot in 10-20 years time. It really is vital we conserve habitat for these birds, to ensure their survival into the future.
Exactly right mate :thumbup:
Brisbane_Finches_333

I live near the reservoir where the extremely endangered (200 left) Regent Honeyeater was sighted a few months ago, and what makes me sad is this formerly rural area shrouded in rainforest is getting swamped with new, ugly townhouse developments.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-08/ ... s/10088826

A mate of mine drove down to a newly-developed housing development (made in the past 4-5 years on top of rural and dense scrublands) following reports of Regent Honeyeaters and interestingly he found a pair in a suburban park behind a newly built daycare. So maybe these birds can adapt??
noah.till

Yes, once the pressures give them a run down the only way to survive is to adapt
The last few Paradise Parrots would have to be as tough as nails to be alive now
Up the back of our large property, I believe in an old termite mound there that is all falling to bit now, that the hole that is in it is from a Paradise Parrot, as they were native to our area, so I bloody hope to high heavens they might be out there, but our area has had the absoloute arse grazed out of it from the cattle and horses the neighbours have
We stopped cattle because we have a large population of Bettongs in the area, which are quite endangered as well
Thanks
Noah Till
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have sent the daughter an e-mail asking if this is the reserve she is working on revegitating, and weeding. They replant native species and remove invasive weed species. It is chiefly for the Koalas and Platypus. But no problem if it helps other species too.
LML
LML
Stu

Some believe we humans descend from only two, we are pretty diverse.

As for the Paradise parrot I would like to think it exists.
Coming from a farming family, you may be surprised by what and where some plants and animals etc are. Not everyone shares everything, sometimes for good reason.
We were unaware of the Wollemi Pine until 1994 and that's a bloody big tree not to see.
Brisbane_Finches_333

finchbreeder wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 20:30 Have sent the daughter an e-mail asking if this is the reserve she is working on revegitating, and weeding. They replant native species and remove invasive weed species. It is chiefly for the Koalas and Platypus. But no problem if it helps other species too.
LML
Which reserve? Also, my local bush land is in dire need of some work by the council, I’ve sent them many emails and with every single one, council has replied and said they “fixed the issue”, except they did nothing, because my creek is infested and overrun with weeds, including an ironically placed Bush care sign, which is covered up by Singapore daisy, lantana and elephant grass, reading “if you see overgrown weeds please contact council”. Like I said, council are investing $50M in a new park in the city (replacing an old golf course) with a native bush land garden and a lake etc, why don’t they work on preserving the bush land we currently have.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Enoggera Reservoir in The Gap in Brisbane's west
The company she works for are contracted by Local councils to revegitate and weed. State Govt regulations require the councils to do this. Lantana is apparently one of the biggest land based problems in the areas she is working, thats why I wondered. Most recent contact showed a pretty bare area with a creek running through that had apparently been dry the day before, but was now running. Take photos of the problem area, and forward to your local council. If no response send the same information to your state member of parliament.
LML
LML
noah.till

Not much hope for the little guys, especially with these tools we call a council......
Out at our area, it is recorded we have the largest population concentration of echidnas in Australia, and we get conservationists coming in from all over to do censuses and records
Thanks
Noah Till

Return to “The Lounge”