Plumheads and Munias

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi Everyone,

I have decided to buy 2 pairs of Plum-Heads (to form a mini 'colony') and a pair of Black-Headed Nuns for my aviary. What I'm wondering is, if the nuns will rip the plants in my aviary apart (especially the mini bamboo), will Plum-Heads interbreed with Stars and what's the level of difficulty to breed plumheads (looking for something in the middle of beginner and intermediate). Also should I add them after my Gouldians finish nesting or will adding them during nesting be fine?

Thanks
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
collector_and_buyer

In my experience,Nun's will tear your plants to pieces.Mine will sit there and just strip the leaves off all the new tea tree when put into the aviary and tear the Panic to pieces.I have found Plum heads easy to breed and are a very docile finch that gets on with all the other birds.Give them plenty of fresh seeding grass and if you provide live food,they will take that as well.Mine currently aren't getting any live food and are breeding well.One of my favourite finches.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How big is the avairy and what birds are in it at the moment? This will decide what is best time to add birds.
LML
LML
arthur

nuns will rip the plants in my aviary apart (especially the mini bamboo) . . as per C&B, but bamboos are reasonably tough . . alternate sacrificial pots of Green Panic

will Plum-Heads interbreed with Stars . . Hybrids have been recorded, but probably not . .

what's the level of difficulty to breed plumheads . . I would rate them as a bit harder than Stars, and definitely no nest inspection

should I add them after my Gouldians finish nesting or will adding them during nesting be fine? . . Shouldn't worry Gouldians

Respect FB's concerns about aviary size . . and . . overcrowding will inhibit breeding
Brisbane_Finches_333

finchbreeder wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 09:55 How big is the avairy and what birds are in it at the moment? This will decide what is best time to add birds.
LML
My aviary is 3.6 x 1.8 metres. In it are 1pr Gouldians (Split Blue), 1pr Stars, 1pr Orange Breasts and a lonely Parrot Finch Hen.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK so probably OK to put them in straight away. But if you have a very successful breeding season - and I hope you do - you will need to move spares on or suffer overcrowding.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”