FINCH PHOTO GALLERY

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Craig52

There is some talk that guy in WA was selling them for $4000 a pr and only one pr per person,this is probably why they are sure to disappear because you lose one bird and can't get a replacement. The other reason is their diet, if they don't get the same diet as previously fed they will surely die and i know from experience with them that they won't survive on the common commercial finch mix as it too big for their liking. Very small wild grass seeds like phalaris and tiny weed seeds are their natural diet and they don't eat much green seed found at ground level but might eat it up higher like bamboo seeds etc. There bills are long and pointy similar to a painted finch of which the later eat very tiny seeds like spinifex grass in the wild.
noah.till

Craig52 wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 19:47 There is some talk that guy in WA was selling them for $4000 a pr and only one pr per person,this is probably why they are sure to disappear because you lose one bird and can't get a replacement. The other reason is their diet, if they don't get the same diet as previously fed they will surely die and i know from experience with them that they won't survive on the common commercial finch mix as it too big for their liking. Very small wild grass seeds like phalaris and tiny weed seeds are their natural diet and they don't eat much green seed found at ground level but might eat it up higher like bamboo seeds etc. There bills are long and pointy similar to a painted finch of which the later eat very tiny seeds like spinifex grass in the wild.
Interesting :think: , no wonder people with aviaries full of New Guinea and Green panic grass do well with them
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
arthur

Craig . .

Good point about the single pair . . I would never willingly buy a single pair of birds that were hard to come by, and would try to buy 3 or more

But sometimes the 'gambling genes' took over and the heart ruled the head :silent:
Weaver

In the 70's and 80's a few of us still had Green Cardinals, Yellow Billed Cardinals, Red Billed Quella (weavers) and Red Collared Whydahs. They were generally old birds and even if you successfully bred them you were unable to find others to pair up.
Lavender Waxbills made an appearance for a few years and then faded out again.
Yellow Hammers, Citron Finches and Redpolls also could be sourced quite readily.
Brisbane_Finches_333

What about Pin-Tailed Whydahs? I saw some on Tony Ford’s Facebook page and I’m just wondering how many are left?
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There was a mate of Dad's who lived just down the road. He had the avairys so heavily planted with seeding grasses that I always wondered how he knew what he had. But it sure worked, he had more success with Crodons than anyone else I ever knew. This was in the late 70's.
LML
LML
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 11:40 What about Pin-Tailed Whydahs? I saw some on Tony Ford’s Facebook page and I’m just wondering how many are left?
Pin tails are in a relatively secure spot, although more work needs to be done on them to keep them alive and well in our aviaries
Saw some pairs for sale on Gumtree for $1000 pr
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “The Lounge”