Fire finch fledglings

Includes Species Profile
BillyW

Hi
I've recently had a pair of Fires fledge four chicks. They could not fly and appeared to be too young to leave the nest. I picked them up off the floor each night and brought them inside as it is already cool overnight in Canberra. I returned then to the aviary each morning. Sadly, all if them died over several days, some in the aviary and some in the carry cage. I was upset to lose all of them, but have no explanation as to why. The adults were first time patents and wonder if they kicked them out too early or they fell out of the nest. They are adorable, friendly birds and I wish to ask for advice about this experience and how I might react if this should happen again. Many thanks, Billy
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have returned them to their nest last thing each evening rather than bringing them inside.
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oddly, I've had this problem with my ruddies in the last few weeks too. Both pairs, in seperate aviaries, fledged chicks far too young to be able to fly.

Each night I dilligently put them back into their nest, and each morning they would be back at ground level. I've had about a 50% survival rate so far—the mornings are just too cold for them to be leaving the nest.

If it happens again, I think I'll bring them inside and go the hand-feeding route.
Craig52

It's a major problem here in the colder Southern States during late Autumn and Winter that bird keepers think they can breed finches that originally came from Northern warm areas.
Yes i know you are talking about African Fire finches but all finches have a breeding season and right now down South now is not the time. They aren't chooks that are bred to lay all year to feed us their eggs.
I see pics of breeders birds with young this time of the year but they are all from the North of our country were most species including Foreign species, it's now time to breed in particular after rain events when there is insects and plenty of seeding grasses around for birds to breed.
If you keep feeding high protein foods and supply nesting sites and nesting material your birds will breed but expect high loses of young in our Southern conditions so imo, give them a break or at least cut down on the above mentioned foods and materials and start them up again in early Spring.
I agree you can cover in your aviaries to stop cold breezes but if you have day after day of cold overcast weather you are still not providing the conditions for any bird to breed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some of my quail are also excellent "babysitters" of early fledglings. But I also live in a pleasant climate 11.30AM 25 degrees on the back (south facing) verandah and still as a millpond. Though we did have light overnight rain.
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Craig52 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 11:09 It's a major problem here in the colder Southern States during late Autumn and Winter that bird keepers think they can breed finches that originally came from Northern warm areas.
Yes i know you are talking about African Fire finches but all finches have a breeding season and right now down South now is not the time. They aren't chooks that are bred to lay all year to feed us their eggs.
Problem is people keep finches from many different regions in the same aviaries. So while the fires aren't getting any live food right now, the nesting sites, material, seeding grasses, and greens provided for the Gouldians (now in their peak breeding time) can just as easily be used by them.
BillyW

Thanks to all of you for considered advice about the challenges of breeding fires. I think the climate may be a crucial factor as the overnight temperatures in Canberra have already dropped to as low as 2. But why the fledglings left the nest well before they should have will remain a mystery. What credence do you give to the inexperience of first time patents, not knowing what to do?
noah.till

Maybe a sudden change in diet possibly? Maybe did you put food in later than usual?
I had 3 more Ruddies fledge yesterday, mine flew straight up and stayed on the perch....only problem is mine fledged without any tails feathers growing at all, but will change soon
I take my credit for my finches most of the time to fledging from the nest, and being on the perch within a day, from Termites with the high levels of protein, and keeping consistant supply of food at a common time
Cheers
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Ruddie/Firefinch”