What is this Gouldian Mutation?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
gtlamond

What is this mutation?

I've been selective breeding my first blue and split blue Gouldian and have had some good success with some great parents.

I knew there was something different with this nest when I saw the chicks recently and there were lots of white where I would have expected olive green and grey feathers on the chicks. This morning I got a big surprise when the first fledgling appeared and it wasn't what I was expecting.

Parents
Male - BH PC Green split Blue (could be SF Y (dilute) but all black is real black not grey or a muddy black and his back is vibrant dark green)
Female - BH PC Blue

2020 Breeding Season
1st nest - 1 blue, 1 green split blue, 1 green split blue with a white spot on the back of the head

2nd nest - 4 chicks have various white markings and overall white and grey colouring, 1 green split blue with white spots on head

The male was previously with a green split blue female and produced half blues. The surprise here was I didn't know the parents were split blues. Now I'm hooked on the genetics. This is why I am really curious to this pairs genetics to produce this result.

I've researched the genetics calculators however I'm not sure due to the calculator stating the male is a SF Y (Dilute) split blue. I'm not even sure about yellows as I don't have Euro or Aussie yellows, that I know of.

I'll post more pictures when I can to show the rest of the chicks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gtlamond on 13 May 2020, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think we can safely say that the hen in this equation is Split Aussie yellow. Split Aussie yellows frequently have a white spot or two. But a small percentage will have nothing but a white toe or toenail that you cant see. The young one shown is an Aussie yellow. Wait and see if it colours up yellow or Aussie yellow blue (silver). Others will chime in more on these.
LML
LML
Craig52

Both parents are split Australian yellow and some do not show a visual spot under the beak or back of the neck. Those young ones is a Australian variegated blue and any other green back birds can be split AY and definately split blue. Most gouldian calculators don't include AY because it is solely in Australia and hasn't spread World wide.
Both blue and AY are autosomal recessive mutations so both males and females can be split. You/ they have done extremely well to get those young out of two split parents. Well done. :clap: :thumbup:
gtlamond

Great, thankyou for your help.

I've had some suspicions on the AY split but the calculators don't show AY so hence my initial challenge to identify these chicks. Would be great to see a genetics calculator for the local Australian mutations.

This is my first exposure to the AY. I've not actively looked at the EY or AY due to my focus on quality green, split blue and blues. Now I have learnt about the AY in more detail and I'm keen to develop this further.

This has come as a nice surprise and now I have additional mutations to look at developing. Can't wait till they all colour up into their adult plumage.

The parents are very attentive and have been very good with their young. As of today all five chicks are out of the nest. What a. colourful family.
Last edited by gtlamond on 13 May 2020, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that is a pleasant surprise for you.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”